• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rebuilding 318 engine on 74 barracuda

bogdanator

Reaction score
Hi friends
I need help with rebuilding my 318 engine on my 74 barracuda. I need new pistons for the engine, car is going to be just street driving not racing. Can any one help me as I don’t know what is correct and good for me . Been looking for silvolites but are there any other ones that you recommend, don’t want to spend big money but don’t want to worry either
Thanks

moparleo

Reaction score
The machine shop should have the pistons that you are going to use before they do the final hone and also what type of rings you will use for the proper cross hatch pitch for ring break in.

Have you ever rebuilt an engine ? Not being rude but most people haven't and it is more than just putting the parts together. The build should be thought out before the engine ever gets to a machine shop.
Many companies sell engine kits that have the internal parts that you will need and they are all matched up so they are compatable. Usually at a lower price then buying parts piecemeal.
Unless this is a part number restoration buying a short or long block could be a very good option.

Xcudame

Reaction score
If the machine shop bored and honed the block already, it's a terrible way to do things. You can probably get away with using KB 167 pistons and Hastings cast rings (they're pretty forgiving). I believe chrome rings are also broken in by the manufacturer and you could use them too. Different types of rings need different hatch patterns and surface finish.

If the block is bored but not yet honed, you can use any piston and ring combo.

Moparleo is correct, each engine rebuild needs to be carefully thought out and all the components picked to work with each other. Compression ratio, camshaft, carburetion (efi?), the 3 Cs need to work together. Then you have clutches or torque convertors to consider.

Steve340

Reaction score
The Keith Black pistons are good. Be aware they run a wide top ring gap.
Stick to the manufacturers recommended gap and bore clearance. They are a very good piston for the money.

mrmopar340

Reaction score
If you buy a custom set get them to machine 10 of them. It isn't that much more money than 8 and if something happens you have a couple extras around. I always get 10 for any rebuild just in case.

bogdanator

Reaction score
Block was not bored yet just measurement taken so I know what size I need. Did not work on mopar before so I don’t know what type or brand to use. Yes I did rebuild engine before.
Catalog is showing some pistons from 69 to 2001 and other from 74 to 78 that is what I can’t figure out, so if you have a suggestion an what time or brand would work for me please let me know
Thanks

Steve340

Reaction score
Your engine is the LA series. Have a look at Summit Racing they are all set up to ship international.

bogdanator

Reaction score
Just did talk to people at silvolite and they were very helpful with my questions, got what I needed, that directed me to their retailer witch is summit racing
Thanks for input

Xcudame

Reaction score
Sweet! And you're smart in going with the smallest overbore needed. Thicker cylinder walls make more power than a couple extra cubic inches! Glad you didn't have the block bored/honed yet and were stuck! Also, use tri-metal rod and main bearings. I prefer Clevite, but King makes good bearings too!

bogdanator

Reaction score
Yes I did get clevite bearings p series, got cam bearings from clevite to , new lifters, valves and gasket set from victor r.
Rebuild the carburetor which is oryginal Carter, next will be trany but not today. Machine shop here in Poland is very good, they have taken the measurements but will bore and hone when they have pistons, same goes with heads , they need valves before any work will be done.been working with them on 6 engines so far and very happy
Thanks for all the replies

Back