• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Regarding rear shock absorbers

RYO5566

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a question about the rear shock absorber.

I bought the KYB KG5512 to replace the shock absorber, but the mounting holes don't fit.
Even when I remove the shock absorber and take the car off the lift and put it on the ground, the mounting holes don't reach the body.
I don't have a photo of the shock absorber removed, but the total length of the shock absorber is about 24.4 inches, and the mounting position on the body side is about 25 inches when the body is on the ground.
The rear height was raised about 1 to 2 inches by the previous owner changing the leaf spring, and the shock absorbers seem to be the ones for the original height.
So I'm looking for a shock absorber that fits this height.
There are Monroe Max Air Shocks, but I don't want to add extra parts like lung liver, so if possible, it would be helpful if they were adjustable.

I found a shock absorber like this at Summit, but it's not long enough.

20240902_152539.jpg

20240902_152654.jpg

20240902_152715.jpg

20240902_152722.jpg

20240902_152740.jpg

Screenshot_20240905_151534.jpg

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Any time you raise the rear it is possible to have the shocks not fit, as you're finding out. Years ago we used shock extensions (like Mr Gasket 1288), but those are no longer available. You likely will need to order different rear shocks that are longer. Some folks have said that the old Imperial shocks were longer but you'll need to find out how long they are when fully retracted to ensure you have enough rebound travel when going over bumps.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Imperial shocks are 24.5" extended and have about 8.5" of travel. Might be too short for you! Maybe a 70's truck rear shock as they are 25.2" extended and have 10.4" travel?

moparleo

Reaction score
You are going to need to measure the compressed length and the extended length to calculate the correct shock for the new application.
So9 car suspension bottomed out and extended with shocks disconnected.

RYO5566

Reaction score
Any time you raise the rear it is possible to have the shocks not fit, as you're finding out. Years ago we used shock extensions (like Mr Gasket 1288), but those are no longer available. You likely will need to order different rear shocks that are longer. Some folks have said that the old Imperial shocks were longer but you'll need to find out how long they are when fully retracted to ensure you have enough rebound travel when going over bumps.

Hello!
Thank you for your kind information!
So there are such things as shock absorber extensions.
If they exist, my current brand new shock absorbers wouldn't go to waste, but after looking around, it seems there aren't any for Mopar.
If you have any other information, I'd appreciate it.

RYO5566

Reaction score
Imperial shocks are 24.5" extended and have about 8.5" of travel. Might be too short for you! Maybe a 70's truck rear shock as they are 25.2" extended and have 10.4" travel?

Hello!
Even if I search for the 70 Challenger on Summit Racing, there aren't many types of rear shock absorbers.
Do you fit Challengers for trucks as well?

RYO5566

Reaction score
You are going to need to measure the compressed length and the extended length to calculate the correct shock for the new application.
So9 car suspension bottomed out and extended with shocks disconnected.

Hello!
Currently, the shock absorber is not long enough, so it is attached to the vehicle in a stretched state, which puts strain on the leaf spring!

Xcudame

Reaction score
My Challenger is stock ride height so Blistiens and QA1s fit just fine! Since your 2 to 3 inches higher in the rear than stock, you're going to need a truck shock. Maybe something like a KYB 344070.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I needed the opposite. I needed shorter shocks because mine bottomed out because I have-1" split mono leafs and 1" lowering block welded in on my car to keep the ride height where I like it due to running 30" tall tires. I don't like the jacked up look.

RYO5566

Reaction score

RYO5566

Reaction score
I needed the opposite. I needed shorter shocks because mine bottomed out because I have-1" split mono leafs and 1" lowering block welded in on my car to keep the ride height where I like it due to running 30" tall tires. I don't like the jacked up look.

Hello!
Thank you for your comment.
My car has the rear raised, but I also like low-riding cars!
A Challenger I know had its ride height lowered with air suspension!

RYO5566

Reaction score

Correct option would be to put the car back to the correct height and not worry about having to make something fit that shouldn't be there.

Correct option would be to put the car back to the correct height and not worry about having to make something fit that shouldn't be there.
Hello!
Thank you for your comment.
I'll take a look at it!

RYO5566

Reaction score

Hello!
Thanks for the information!
I also looked at the Mr Gasket website, but it seems to be out of production.
Also, it seems to be produced by a different manufacturer, not just Mr Gasket.

MOPAR CHRYSLER DODGE SHOCK EXTENSIONS 1967 AND UP | eBay

pschlosser

Reaction score
In my experience, when jacking the car by the frame rails, and allowing the rear axle to drop fully while the tires are off the ground, in this condition, the axle has always, ALWAYS hung slightly from the shocks. In other words, the distance the rear axle drops when lifting by the frame rails is slightly longer than the correct shock absorber length. This is normal, or common, in my opinion.

RYO5566

Reaction score
In my experience, when jacking the car by the frame rails, and allowing the rear axle to drop fully while the tires are off the ground, in this condition, the axle has always, ALWAYS hung slightly from the shocks. In other words, the distance the rear axle drops when lifting by the frame rails is slightly longer than the correct shock absorber length. This is normal, or common, in my opinion.

Hello!
Thank you for your comment!
In my case, the rear was raised by the leaf spring, and even when it was on the ground, the length of the shock absorber was about 1/4 short.

So it feels like the rear is only supported by the force of the leaf spring!

Back