• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Retrosound 4x10” Dash speaker / Dash Pad Modification

Olacmot

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success installing this 4x10” Retrosound speaker in the dash? I just had my dash pad redone, and the speaker sits too high, making the speaker grill pop out of the dash by about 1/4”. I can cut some of the tabs of this speaker to help it sit lower, but it seems I will need to trim away some of the new dash pad foam so the speaker sits on the metal dash frame. So I have some questions before I modify the speaker and can’t return it:

Has anyone installed this speaker? There are two (2) speaker connections for this speaker. The speaker wire connections on one side of the magnet have very little clearance to the steel dash frame. If I get it to sit lower in the frame clearance will likely get worse. Will I need to grind the frame to make clearance for the speaker connections?

If I trim the dash pad back around the boarder of the speaker, so the speaker can sit directly on the frame, will it cause the dash pad to prematurely crack or peel/pull back off the frame? Seeing as the hole for the speaker is already cut in it, I don’t think this will be an issue, but didn’t want to cut it and cause any adverse effects to the pad before asking you guys who have more experience.

Thanks in advance! Pictures attached for reference.

IMG_5442.jpeg

IMG_5443.jpeg

IMG_5444.jpeg

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
Interesting. What other speakers do you have in your system? How does that speaker setup sound?
I have a set of 6x9s that I also bought from the Turnswitch site, but I haven't gotten around to installing them yet. I'm not much of an audiophile, so my opinion on sound quality probably isn't worth much. After not having any tunes for years, I was just happy to have a working radio and speaker.

I also had Turnswitch upgrade my original am radio to am/fm and they added a plug so that I can play music from my phone through original am radio.

For me, the important part was just having the speaker fit without hacking into the dash.

Chally

Reaction score
I recently installed the Turnswitch 4x10 setup and it fit without any modifications, but it was pretty tight in my case. I have 6x9’s under the package tray which is necessary IMO. The front speaker setup is primarily for supplemental sound and the fader is needed to adjust it optimally.

elan71

Reaction score
Hi
I had the same problem but managed to fix it. I first cut off one of the contacts projecting upwards from plus and minus. Then I carefully bent a terminal downwards. When everything is bent down nicely, connect the cable and insulate it well. Then put some insulation around the loudspeaker so that it closes off nicely. It only goes in one way. You have to pay attention to that.
This worked very well with my 71 'Cuda. Of course, you won't get the low tones, that's not physically possible. I hid a subwoofer under the passenger seat for this purpose. Then it sounds quite decent.

Daniel

2023-11-18 15.38.13.jpg

2023-11-18 15.38.18.jpg

Olacmot

Reaction score
Hi
I had the same problem but managed to fix it. I first cut off one of the contacts projecting upwards from plus and minus. Then I carefully bent a terminal downwards. When everything is bent down nicely, connect the cable and insulate it well. Then put some insulation around the loudspeaker so that it closes off nicely. It only goes in one way. You have to pay attention to that.
This worked very well with my 71 'Cuda. Of course, you won't get the low tones, that's not physically possible. I hid a subwoofer under the passenger seat for this purpose. Then it sounds quite decent.

Daniel

View attachment 123684

View attachment 123685

So, I called the company that redid the dash pad, and they said there would be no issue trimming back the foam and vinyl under the speaker grill so the speaker sits lower. I’ll do the same thing that you did with your speaker wires to insulate the connections from the dash. Thanks for the good idea, I’ll keep you posted on how it turns out.

Bret Schneider

Reaction score
You guys are way more adventuresome than me. I'm going every time with the $83 low profile version of that speaker that actually fits but I admire your creativity. :cool:

Back