• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Slap stick shifter mods

tazzymoto

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success modifying the slap stick to work with a 545rfe transmission? I'm trying to use a cable from a durango and changing the throw to be the same, so far so good. I raised the pivot point on the shifter and added a .25" pin for the cable to hook on. Just need to secure the cable and test fit the console. I'll post pictures if I figure it out

sixpactogo

Reaction score
I used the 545RFE in my 68 Charger when I upgraded to a 6.1 back in 2014. I can't remember what I got the cable from. Could have been a Jeep but it was floor shifted for sure. Anyway I cut the shifter end off and fabbed an end on that would work with my stock shifter. The detents are the same allthough only 3 on the shifter. You get all 5 gears except 4 &5 are together and 2 & 3 are together in second gear.I added a push button in the console glove box to shut off the Overdrive (5th gear) but never use it. I can't remember how much I cut off or exactly what I did to make it work but here are the only pictures I could find of it. I know I widened the tunnel a couple inches and raised it like 2.5" to make the transmission fit. Probably should have raised it a little more since my drive line angle ended up a little lower than I wanted. I had to cut my perches off and relocate the pinion angle to get the drive line within tolerances. Not sure any of these pics do you any good but maybe. The first pic is the cable I started with.

100_7330.JPG

100_7158.JPG

100_7360.JPG

100_7422.JPG

Shifter cable.jpg

Back