• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starter removal with TTI's

Ratvon

Reaction score
So I have the mini starter with 1 7/8 TTI headers. What's the easiest way to get it out ? Remove headers , lower trans crossmeber , engine mount? Something else ?
Thanks

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Unbolt the collector from the pipe, then unbolt the driver side header. Unbolt the driver side engine mount and lift the engine some to get clearance. You should be able to get the starter out at that point.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Header definitely has to come off! When I was 14, my older brother used to pay me $40 to change his starters for him. This was before the mini starters. It's a lot of work as I remember only getting like a 1/6th of a turn on two or three of the header bolts. Luckily the TTI headers are better fitting than what was available back then! Best of luck to you!

Ratvon

Reaction score
Unbolt the collector from the pipe, then unbolt the driver side header. Unbolt the driver side engine mount and lift the engine some to get clearance. You should be able to get the starter out at that point.
No kidding? I thought it was supposed to be easier with these headers

Bret Schneider

Reaction score
Small block?
I have the TTI 1 7/8" headers with a Powermaster mini-starter and it pretty much falls out by itself once the starter bolts are out.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
No kidding? I thought it was supposed to be easier with these headers
There is very little that is "easier" with headers! Headers are for performance, not ease of maintenance. If you want "easy", then you should consider ditching the headers and going back to manifolds. Back in the 80's there were very few headers available for "B" body cars with 440's like I had (I had a '69 Charger). I bought headers to beef up my performance. What it did was to cook my starter, and I had to unbolt the header to change the starter out. That meant not only unbolting the exhaust but also draining the coolant from my engine since the header bolts went into the water jacket. Ugh, what a pain. I dumped the headers and went back to manifolds. Saw a little less seat of the pants performance, but not a deal breaker. On my current Challenger, I use Trickflow 240 heads & TTI 1 7/8" headers. The header bolts do not go into the water jacket because they are blind.

TIMINATOR

Reaction score
Anybody know if TTI or anyone else has 2" or 2 1/8" (preferably) headers (preferably ones that fit?) for a 72 440 /512 Challenger?
Or contact info?
TIMINATOR

Xcudame

Reaction score
TIMINATOR, check out this RB menu page on TTI's web page. There's several headers listed including 2.0-2.125 stepped headers. I'd call them and let them help you per what you're running for cylinder heads and transmission.

TIMINATOR

Reaction score

Xcudame

Reaction score
TTI tries really hard to make their headers fit. Unfortunately our Mopars had some variance from vehicle to vehicle, so some tweaking may be required. But as everyone who has TTI headers will tell you, they fit better than others. Doug's are a close second for fitting well.

Bret Schneider

Reaction score
Seconding the TTI suggestions. Pay close attention to their "Product Details" information. TTI does a good job in my opinion of trying to cover as many combinations as they can. https://www.ttiexhaust.com/TTi400IB-218.htm
For instance the starter information for your application...

THE FOLLOWING STARTERS HAVE BEEN FIT-CHECKED WITH THESE HEADERS AND FOUND THERE TO BE NO CLEARANCE ISSUES...

• Chrysler part no's: R53005984, 56027702AC

• Mopar Performance part no's: P5249644AB, P5007860, P4286522
PowerMaster Performance XS torque starter no: 9523
• 440 applications with an 11" flywheel 143-tooth ring gear must use a RobbMc Performance starter #3005.

Back