• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Tach not working after installing electronic ignition

hammer

Reaction score
Had the old point distributor in and install the new electronic ignition. I cannot get the tach to work. Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Is it a a Mopar Electronic Ignition?
Is it an original tach or an aftermarket one?

Xcudame

Reaction score
Need a little more info like EW1BH27 is asking for. Stock time electronic control module and electronic distributor or "fancy" electronic ignition.

bc3j

Reaction score
Might check the chip inside on the tach’s board. Found out the electronic box was not compatible with factory tach’s board. Had my tach rebuilt with the new chip and it works fine. Auto Instruments in Virginia did the rebuild and told me the tach will now work with any electronic system.

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
That is correct. Have you tested the tach ? There so many questions that need to be answered. This is a50+ year old system. There were adapters, replacement tach boards and not everything is compatable. Unless you are tyhe original owner, a lot of things could have been done in 50 years.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Funny thing! No two! I like talking to myself and answering too. The other, did one think of checking the bulkhead connector?

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
Challenger RTA, I talk to and answer myself a lot too! Most of the time I don't get into arguments with myself though! But I always agree in the end! 😉

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
If your tach worked before the changeover from points to electronic then you have a couple of options to stay with the same electronic ignition.
1. MSD 8920 Tach Adapter Available on Amazon. Converts tach signal for factory tach compatibility.
2. Replace the factory tach board with an aftermarket, and more accurate, aftermarket tach board. RT Engineering (RTE) makes the M5 Tach Board for E-Bodies. An article about the conversion to the digital tach board.
If you choose the RTE Tach Board, you should also consider changing out your Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR) to a digital version. RTE has those as well. That way you take out the Rallye dash and fix both issues.

The pricing is about the same but the time/labor to install is a bit different. Your choice.
MSD 8920 Tach-Fuel Adapter.jpg
RTE M5 Tach Board.jpg

Last edited:

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
I put the Mopar electronic ignition on my car and the tach worked fine. Did you possibly just not reattach a wire or break one off? The original wiring can be brittle. I’d check all the original connections.

Back