• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Torsion Bar Install

Desert 70 Cuda

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm getting ready to install my torsion bars on my '70 'Cuda, but before I do I want to make sure I know the sequence. Do I torque the LCA mounting bolt first or do I install the torsion bar first? Also what position should the height adjuster blade sit at? Should it sit/point above the arm, or should it site somewhere in the middle? Or as low as possible? I don't have the engine or transmission in yet but I want to make sure I do it correctly while I have the room.

My thoughts are to install the torsion bar w/ adjuster blade as low as possible, then torque the mounting bolt.

Thank you in advance!

Borrowed pic from MoparCarGuy post:

Screenshot 2024-10-03 at 10.13.53 AM.png

Xcudame

Reaction score
Slide them in with the ride height adjuster screw back out. Make sure you put the correct bar in the correct location because unless they're ultra big in diameter, they are handed left and right. Even digits right (passenger side) and odd digits left (driver side). Once the bars are in, crank the adjusting screws all the way in so the car sits higher. Easier to work on that way. You can set ride height later.

Personally if it was me, I'd drop the K-Frame and wait to install the engine and transmission plus the K-Frame and torsion bars from underneath (i.e. drop the car over the drive train). Much easier. But you may need to move there car prior.

Xcudame

Reaction score
You will want the lower control loose because you'll need to raise it up and down to get the hex on the bars to align up. Pretty easy, once you start, it will make sense.

Desert 70 Cuda

Reaction score
Slide them in with the ride height adjuster screw back out. Make sure you put the correct bar in the correct location because unless they're ultra big in diameter, they are handed left and right. Even digits right (passenger side) and odd digits left (driver side). Once the bars are in, crank the adjusting screws all the way in so the car sits higher. Easier to work on that way. You can set ride height later.

Personally if it was me, I'd drop the K-Frame and wait to install the engine and transmission plus the K-Frame and torsion bars from underneath (i.e. drop the car over the drive train). Much easier. But you may need to move there car prior.
Thanks Xcudame! I was thinking along those same lines, and you're right i do need to move it around. My goal is to get it to "roller" status. Thanks again

Back