• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Two Fender Tags - SPECIAL HANDLING CAR. Anyone seen this before?

Thorkild

Reaction score
Fender Tag.jpg

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Here's one

Also found theses 2 posts by other people
From another site by Barry Washington...
The special handling fender tags are common to police cars, lots of folks have saved the tags from salvage yards over the years & added them to their cars.
I have never seen an original Hamtramck or LA built car with one of these tags, they noted their special handling cars on broadcast sheets instead.
The 'special handling' had to do with the vehicle build, it had nothing to do with being able to 'handle' corners at high speed.

The second one...
I found a stash of early 70's NYS Police Furys in a local salvage yard about 15 years ago and removed at least 8 or 9 of those tags along with a few Special Paint, Special Mask, Body In White. Very cool to collect and easy to remove
:)

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
Exactly right. As another example my brother's Challenger R/T has SPECIAL HANDLING CAR printed on the build sheet but only one fender tag with the codes on it, no extra SPECIAL HANDLING CAR tag.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Mostly it was your police cars that had "SPECIAL HANDLING CAR" tags to let the assemble line workers know there were extra/different options on them. It was common for different law enforcement agencies to order unique options for their vehicles.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
As I think about it, there is that one 1974 that has the "body in white" tag on it. This is the car that has the grid layout across the entire car. I am not positive it is actually factory but it did appear to be factory and claimed to be factory. It was for sale for quite some time. Hopefully someone saved that one car. There must be others.
I don't have pictures of that car unfortunately.

Back