• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

VIN verification

Old Mopar

Reaction score
Is there a way to check a VIN for a 70 e body to determine if the VIN is legitimate? I was told that at one time that there was such a printout of VINS. No the VIN is not going to get posted.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Yeah. Post the build date, first 3 digits of vin and line number from fender tag. Someone here probably tell you if it make ¢s of it. There are some very informed members here. But there not Penn and Teller to tell you the color of you car with out info.

Last edited:

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Without seeing and knowing the vin there is no real way to help you.
There is no print out or list of vins for these cars.
All you can do is use other Known Vin's , that were shown, and figure out if your vin is in between some of those other KNOWN Vin's.
Good luck.

Adam

Reaction score
Yes and no. The vin will follow a specific format; generally the first seven digits break down into certain characteristics of that, and any similar car. The last six digits are the sequence (serial) number of the car. Your car should have the sequence stamped in a couple different places, fender tag, and on the driver’s door decal for verification.
Decode your vin online to see if it makes sense and look to verify your sequence number on your car.

There is a way to fake a complete vin (no, I won’t say how) but it would be very difficult to make the sequence match the various other places. Usually the thief does the dash vin and quickly sells the car to some sucker.

You can contact your state patrol for a vin verification, hopefully before you buy. If they find it legit it’s good, if not they will seize the car.

moparleo

Reaction score
Check the vin stamped on the radiator support and the cowl for a match to the dash Vin. Also the engine if it is original to the car.

marxpups

Reaction score
I have a 70 gran coupe and the dash vin and cowl number are 1 digit off cowl and rad support match? any ideas on this?

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I have a 70 gran coupe and the dash vin and cowl number are 1 digit off cowl and rad support match? any ideas on this?
Plenty of ideas about this.
Start your own thread and show us some pictures of each of the numbers and I'm sure you will get some info about what you have going on.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Is there a way to check a VIN for a 70 e body to determine if the VIN is legitimate? I was told that at one time that there was such a printout of VINS. No the VIN is not going to get posted.
There are several ways but only from the vehicle or its documentation. The rarer models may already be in a registry or database, if you are extremely lucky.
1. You have an original Dash VIN plate with the VIN on it.
2. You have a Broadcast Sheet with the VIN on it.
3. You have an original fender tag (not a repro) with the VIN on it.
4. You have an original Window Sticker with the VIN on it.
5. You have original dealer invoice or other dealer paperwork with the VIN on it and its not a typographical error (it happens).
If you do not have access to the vehicle and do not have any of the above, then the answer is "No", unless somebody else has one of the five items above or it has been previously documented.

You will have to share the VIN for someone on this forum to check their resources for a VIN match. It is kind of ridiculous to hide VINs for any vehicle that will ever be seen in public. I always chuckle when I see Dash VINs covered with something at car shows or cruises. What nefarious act does anyone think they can do with a VIN?

Earlier this week on the other E-Bodies forum, I posted a fender tag for a new forum member who was looking for his old `Cuda 340. He had posted the VIN but had no other info on the car's documentation. Now he has a picture of the original fender tag with options.

Back