• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

vins non matching 70 barracuda gran coupe

marxpups

Reaction score
MY DASH/TITLE VIN LAST 3 DIGITS dont match 127222 MY COWL AND RAD SUPPORT HAVE 127122 any ideas????

pschlosser

Reaction score
If it's one digit off, and only among those partial numbers stamped into the sheet metal, I would not be concerned one bit.

As long as the registered VIN on the title paperwork matches the VIN on the dash pad stamped plaque and/or the door jam printed sticker, you are golden.

You ask how did the error happen?

It seems possible it is simply a human error typo, when manually entered and stamped on the assembly line. I'm guessing the sheet metal gets stamped AFTER the part is welded/fastened to the vehicle, but I'm only guessing. If it were stamped ahead of time, then the assembler may have to dig around a pile of parts to find the one with the right stamp. So I'm guessing they are stamped after, and if so, it must be a device that can be changed to match the vehicle's VIN being assembled. If the VIN can be changed on the stamping tool, then it can be set incorrectly.

marxpups

Reaction score
If it's one digit off, and only among those partial numbers stamped into the sheet metal, I would not be concerned one bit.

As long as the registered VIN on the title paperwork matches the VIN on the dash pad stamped plaque and/or the door jam printed sticker, you are golden.

You ask how did the error happen?

It seems possible it is simply a human error typo, when manually entered and stamped on the assembly line. I'm guessing the sheet metal gets stamped AFTER the part is welded/fastened to the vehicle, but I'm only guessing. If it were stamped ahead of time, then the assembler may have to dig around a pile of parts to find the one with the right stamp. So I'm guessing they are stamped after, and if so, it must be a device that can be changed to match the vehicle's VIN being assembled. If the VIN can be changed on the stamping tool, then it can be set incorrectly.
yeah that is what i was thinking,what are the odds of a number swap being 100 off?

marxpups

Reaction score
A little more details. Year door sticker motor and trans #.
car has gone threw alot of changes, nothing is original was 318 904 7 1/4 now 440-6 727 8 3/4

70 CUDA CONVERT.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Without other information of the motor,transmission, door sticker and others to compere. The numbers on the other locations might show which is correct and what is more than likely a mistake or something was replaced. Just a fluke it's a hundred off. The broadcast sheet and window sticker I'm sure are also long gone.
I have seen on the broadcast sheet. The Vin and SO # a close match and maybe it was miss read when making vin stamping. Example SO# 1234560 extra place in SO#, vin# 123556. Example below of SO and VIN numbers not matching or off by one. Yours might have been off by one.
Bottom line there is a title for it and your not playing it off as something else being original.
Nice! Enjoy!

D406A54C-4790-4D69-BE4B-1F20DB15FE90.jpeg

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
As I've mentioned on other posts, Mother Chrysler's quality control was pretty lacking in the 60's and 70's. A 440/727 convertible has to be more fun than a 318/904 except for gas mileage. 😀

Back