• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Are these needed on the stock K member

MGD7038

Reaction score
Good afternoon, everyone’s time here is important so I’ll keep this short. I have a ‘74 Challenger that had a 440 with Hedman headers in it when I got it. I’m putting a new 440 in it and purchased some TTI headers to go with it.

I did a test fit and found the header on the driver’s side was hitting an “L” shaped K member piece next to the motor mount. It doesn’t look structural so I thought I would just cut it back but thought I would run it by you all first. The passenger side has one too but the header clears.

IMG_7893.jpeg

IMG_7894.jpeg

hdwrench

Reaction score
i asked similar question recently, answer was there for a certain late model engine mount, i believe it was called captive? so if your useing a standard early mount there not necessary…

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
As MR Cuda said : "These are not transport hold down brackets. They are engine movement limiting supports.
They come on late 73 and 74 ebody, because all the other cars have the new for 73 captive motor mounts."

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
LOL!
I did say that. Still true.
Cut that interference metal out of the way.
And don't forget to add a torque strap to avoid motor mount breakage with that 440.

larry4406

Reaction score
Mity Mounts? I recall reading about these...

Tig

Reaction score
I removed them on my 440 install (74) Never had any issues running the std 440 rubber mounts for a good few years. Later I switched to Moroso solids but didn't really need to, I could have just used an engine limiter. Now we use a motor plate and a QA1 cross member with no stock mounts.

MGD7038

Reaction score
Gents, I appreciate all the info. I have a torque strap cable and freshening up the suspension bushings are also on my to do list.

Back