• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

360 swap into a 340 cuda

Xcudame

Reaction score
Dang! That's a lot of copper showing on the bearings! The 70 413 I recently rebuilt (quickly shade tree job) didn't have any copper showing! Lots of grooves in the throw in your picture. Tell the machinist you want the crankshaft "indexed ground"! This insures all rod journals are 90 degrees from each other! Mopar cranks I've ground have been damn close, but ask for it and pay the difference. That's one of the ways to make real power!

don selleck

Reaction score
Dang! That's a lot of copper showing on the bearings! The 70 413 I recently rebuilt (quickly shade tree job) didn't have any copper showing! Lots of grooves in the throw in your picture. Tell the machinist you want the crankshaft "indexed ground"! This insures all rod journals are 90 degrees from each other! Mopar cranks I've ground have been damn close, but ask for it and pay the difference. That's one of the ways to make real power!
yes trusted a guy I went to school with to do this, the son of the guy I bought the car from, a head tec at a dealership up the road, and a mopar guy that has raced for 35 years. thought I was safe. It was at his house to be reassembled when I bought the car thought it would be easier to just pay him than to gather the parts and take them to another guy I trust, mistake. oh well Like I said gonna have it hot tanked and mangnafluxed first then redo everything and add some horsepower to it

mrmopar340

Reaction score
yep, for sure. cam was small on it anyways it was pretty much a stock engine. so gonna tweak it up a little talking to a machinist/ builder wednesday. figured I'll get it in asap to avoid everyones elses winter projects

View attachment 128434
Stroke it. You can make 500 pretty easy if you do. Gobs of torque too. Mine puts 444ft lbs on the ground. It just doesn't quit pulling at all as my grandson says. He might, again might get to drive it one day. He has to understand the dynamics of a 73 car first.

don selleck

Reaction score
Stroke it. You can make 500 pretty easy if you do. Gobs of torque too. Mine puts 444ft lbs on the ground. It just doesn't quit pulling at all as my grandson says. He might, again might get to drive it one day. He has to understand the dynamics of a 73 car first.
sounds like a great idea, lucky grandson.

mrmopar340

Reaction score
sounds like a great idea, lucky grandson.
We shall see. It's undecided at the moment. I'm making him learn by turning wrenches and learning reassembly and things of that nature. He's 18 but he won't get it for free. He better learn how to do what it takes to maintain and operate it first. If he learns he's got a shot. Time will tell. I'm having him help me finish it up after the rewire. He learned test light basics today and his wiring course is over save for the continuity tester. I will say when I teach I also buy the tool that he can put in his toolbox. I know, I'm a bad grandpa but that's the way the ball bounces.

don selleck

Reaction score
We shall see. It's undecided at the moment. I'm making him learn by turning wrenches and learning reassembly and things of that nature. He's 18 but he won't get it for free. He better learn how to do what it takes to maintain and operate it first. If he learns he's got a shot. Time will tell. I'm having him help me finish it up after the rewire. He learned test light basics today and his wiring course is over save for the continuity tester. I will say when I teach I also buy the too that he can put in his toolbox. I know, I'm a bad grandpa but that's the way the ball bounces.
that will make a man that appreciates things by earning them, unlike most of the entitled kids of today. :thumbsup:

mrmopar340

Reaction score
that will make a man that appreciates things by earning them, unlike most of the entitled kids of today. :thumbsup:
My point exactly. You don't buy them finished from the 70's you have to build them. I have a 68 340 steel crank X head motor complete here intake to pan he is going to pull apart and learn how to assemble.

Back