• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Cuda 440 Headers

WhiteGP

Reaction score
I'm looking at Headers for my 70 440 Cuda, 4 speed... I see a lot of positive remarks on TTI headers, As you all know the passenger side clearance on this car/motor combo is extremely tight. Does anyone have recommendations / comments. Spark Plug clearance etc ...

I'm looking at these headers with the ceramic coating https://www.ttiexhaust.com/TTi383440134.htm ALSO, I have seen some comments on the Dougs site that specifically says to NOT break in a new motor with the coated headers?

Thanks

mrmopar340

Reaction score
I'm looking at Headers for my 70 440 Cuda, 4 speed... I see a lot of positive remarks on TTI headers, As you all know the passenger side clearance on this car/motor combo is extremely tight. Does anyone have recommendations / comments. Spark Plug clearance etc ...

I'm looking at these headers with the ceramic coating https://www.ttiexhaust.com/TTi383440134.htm ALSO, I have seen some comments on the Dougs site that specifically says to NOT break in a new motor with the coated headers?

Thanks
Don't break a motor in with any new headers. The initial temps will cause them to discolor or ruin the ceramic on them. Found out the hard way.

Last edited:

Steve340

Reaction score
I you have the old manifolds/exhaust system you can use those to break the motor in. Post #3 is right from what I know.
I was told by boss of the coatings company to install the coated header, wipe clean with prepsol and then run the engine for a few minutes and switch it off and allow the coating to cool.
Drive gently for an hour or so to fully cure the coating.
I did what I was told and the coatings hold up pretty well.

Xcudame

Reaction score
It's still a little warm here in the desert, but I'm going to install big-block TTIs, Doug's and Hookers into my 71 Barracuda. I'm betting on the TTIs fitting the best! I bought the Hookers for breaking in my spare 413 and the Barracuda's 440 because ceramic coated headers don't like breaking in engines. Like Mrmopar340 and Steve340 said, you need to cure the ceramic coating.

IMG_20240704_160117348.jpg

WhiteGP

Reaction score
It's still a little warm here in the desert, but I'm going to install big-block TTIs, Doug's and Hookers into my 71 Barracuda. I'm betting on the TTIs fitting the best! I bought the Hookers for breaking in my spare 413 and the Barracuda's 440 because ceramic coated headers don't like breaking in engines. Like Mrmopar340 and Steve340 said, you need to cure the ceramic coating.

View attachment 128303
As always, good advice :cool:

Back