• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Challenger 318 Restoration

RB.Challenger73

Reaction score
Almost 2 years ago i traded in my BMW for a 73 number matching Challenger with some work.

I let a friens of mine who's a mechanic check the car and found out that 2 cilinders have low compression issues. After consideration i decided to first fix the engine before starting on the other things i would like to restore. It quickly become clear that i want a perfect engine so a total revision became the outcome. The engine is removed and checked as we speak, the complete engine get's checked and machined. The block is torn apart i can instantly replace parts for better performance parts like cam, pistons, intake and carb.

Yesterday i removed the front en sides to remove surface rust and repaint the inside of all the panels and enginebay. The trans is still placed but i wanne remove it so i can redo the underbody with a new coating.

The car will get a new paintjob and a new white vinyl roof. The dash, doorpanels and pillar covers gets replaced and the seats a new upholstry.

when i was looking at colours for the new paintjob i find one with an amazing colour that i really loved. Not an original mopar colour but in my opninion really stood out. Below a couple of pictures of the car and the colour i think about doing.
17544450_11.jpg17544450_3.jpg17544450_7.jpg17544450_23.jpg20240810_141851.jpg1973-dodge-challenger.jpeg.jpg7299211-1973-dodge-challenger-thumb.jpg

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Is that a factory sunroof car? The bottom picture is a beautiful color?

Builderguy

Reaction score
It's a retrofit, one of the things i wanne remove. U don't think it's a beautiful color? Brandywine
Almost 2 years ago i traded in my BMW for a 73 number matching Challenger with some work.

I let a friens of mine who's a mechanic check the car and found out that 2 cilinders have low compression issues. After consideration i decided to first fix the engine before starting on the other things i would like to restore. It quickly become clear that i want a perfect engine so a total revision became the outcome. The engine is removed and checked as we speak, the complete engine get's checked and machined. The block is torn apart i can instantly replace parts for better performance parts like cam, pistons, intake and carb.

Yesterday i removed the front en sides to remove surface rust and repaint the inside of all the panels and enginebay. The trans is still placed but i wanne remove it so i can redo the underbody with a new coating.

The car will get a new paintjob and a new white vinyl roof. The dash, doorpanels and pillar covers gets replaced and the seats a new upholstry.

when i was looking at colours for the new paintjob i find one with an amazing colour that i really loved. Not an original mopar colour but in my opninion really stood out. Below a couple of pictures of the car and the colour i think about doing.
View attachment 127903View attachment 127905View attachment 127900View attachment 127904View attachment 127901View attachment 127902View attachment 127899
I sprayed a '65 pickup in Tri-Coat PPG Brandywine. Looks great but is a lot of work and very difficult to spray to perfection. I see now that there are some BC/CC versions of Brandywine that look pretty good without all the fuss. Best of luck with your rebuild.
1723396356707.png

1723396389783.png

1723396428844.png

Tig

Reaction score
House of Kolor do a lot of the Kandy stuff, the base coats are easier to do but they just don't look as good as a real candy paint job (tinted laquer over a base colour). Difficult to come by over here in the UK / Europe due to chemical composition issues but we do have equivalents.

tank1.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread! It will be great to follow your build! I like the Brandywine color!

The engine bay (inner fenders, firewall and radiator support) should be body color. The front of the radiator support should be sprayed flat black so the color can't be seen when standing in front of the car.

RB.Challenger73

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread! It will be great to follow your build! I like the Brandywine color!

The engine bay (inner fenders, firewall and radiator support) should be body color. The front of the radiator support should be sprayed flat black so the color can't be seen when standing in front of the car.
Ty! It's a specific color and i think u like it or u really don't so i expected more suprised reactions.

Also ty for that tip! Didn't knew that, i got paint for the engine bay in the colour i want. Need get me some black to i see.

RB.Challenger73

Reaction score
I talked with the shop about his findings after he took the engine apart. Currently the block and head is getting machined, and we talked about the parts they he can order already.

He bought the following parts.
KB pistons to get a 10.4.1 compression ( i'll edit it later for the specific type)
Cam with lifter and timing set.
And some small stuff (bearings etc.)

With cam choice he had a mild Melling cam in stock Duration at 050 inch Lift:
214 int./224 exh. 0.444 int./0.466 exh. I can see how this one is and if it's not enough i can switch it for a comp cam kit. I know with these changes it won't make the 300bhp but i will see how this works.

The engine is getting painted mopar red, i know it suppose to be blue but i prefer red because of the color the car is getting painted later on. Further i gatte find some valve covers prob ganne look for some mopar performance.

For now it's getting these upgrades but later i'm adding a weiand intake and 600cfm carb.

Xcudame

Reaction score
A nicely built 318 with any camshaft bigger than factory stock (.392" lift? what were they thinking?) and a four barrel intake and carburator will be fun to drive regardless of overall horsepower!

Xcudame

Reaction score
Make sure you install a PVC valve some where. Normally it's on one of the valve covers but doesn't need to be.

RB.Challenger73

Reaction score
Well the air filter and valve cover set came in and can't wait 2 see how it looks on the car. I also heared from the shop that the engine is fully machined. Waiting for the last parts and the rebuild can begin20240904_181947.jpgIMG-20240902-WA0004.jpeg

Back