• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Brake issues

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
More on brake issues. This is to help others with problems. I will elaborate from an other post a little more. Non ABS.

The story goes. My son had a car problem used mine for bit. When he got it I told him I need to look at the brakes. I smoked the tires and brakes. Someone pulled out in front of me in a 45mph zone.
He brought it back and was starting to grind. He offered to help fix things. Not a big deal I'll get it later.
Later came put pads on pumped the peddle to take up for pad gap before it moved. Seem fine. Started the car and the peddle went right to the floor when running. Ok now what? Did not break loose any lines.:confused:
1718903708277.gif
:confused:
1718903701648.gif

So by chance I had to meet someone to take possession and secure a property for someone. The current owner shows up and it's the mechanic that does my inspection. He deals with this stuff all the time. Day in and out for a living. I explained the problem. He said that happened once and a great while you need to bleed the brakes. I said: But I didn't open anything.
:confused::confused::confused::confused: Bleed the brakes. Went and bleed the brakes but only had a 1/4 of peddle.
It felt like there was air in the line. Bleed the brakes again and again. Also gravity bleed,bottle bleed, pressure bleed,vacuum bleed, bench bleed. Bleed lines from every connection. How many times I don't know. Tried jacking up the car thinking air will go up hill. ( I'm thinking back. what did I do. Lets think simple.) The brakes worked perfect until I put pads on the front. Ok had parts around that I knew were good. I know it's not this but I will do it to please the Gods of trial and error. Changed master cylinder around 4-5 times same thing. took master cylinders apart and check.Plugged the master cylinder checked for pressure and it held. Checked the proportioning valve and also changer it. Changed booster (When a booster is bad there is a hard brake pedal. You can here the vacuum leak or the check vale is stuck.) same thing right to the floor. Dissembled wheel cylinders and calipers cleaned and inspected. Same thing no brakes. :confused: A brake caliper and wheel cylinder will hang up in or out and you think it is working because it pumps up and no air in the line. Also the seals will allow air to seep in after you bleed the lines. At this point I know it's not contamination.Blew lines and out. Lines and hoses were clear. No swelling of hoses or blockedage. Went though a 1/2 gallon or more of brake fluid. Checked movement of wheel cylinders and calipers. looked ok. Had someone push on the brake but with a 3' bar I could turn the rotors. It should have been locked up. I did get it fixed Not quite sure what it was but they work know! I'll show you next what fixed it I could not believe it. :confused:

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Which tool do you think fixed my brake issue? I will reveal the answer with an explanation in a few days.

20240623_150315.jpg

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
The hammer. Tapped the caliper to dislodge air bubbles inside.

Pay attention, this is a real thing that can happen especially with a caliper replacement.
Old mechanic tip.

Last edited:

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I suspect sticking rear wheel cylinders not returning to normal.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Recap. change booster, master, cylinder,proportioning valve, disassemble wheel cylinders, calipers and master cylinders. cleaned and greased what need grease. Bleed how many times I don't know. The problem was still there. Nothing looked to be hanging up or leaking.
As I was looking at the calipers It looked like it was working. So I'm thinking. Maybe it just needs a little help. So out of curiosity I smack it with a hammer inside,outside,top and bottom a few times. HAMMER WINS!!! I did not bleed it after the hammer smacks but they worked perfect. There is only one thing that I can think that happened.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Conclusion. The one thing that I can think that happened. The calipers pins hydro locked. Meaning, when I cleaned and greased all 4 pins and sockets (about a pea size amount) the first time when I put the pads on. The pistons where moving. There was an air pocket or pockets that didn't allow the calipers assembly move all the way. By smacking the calipers it forced the air out. I seen this before where the grease would exit the back side of the caliper mount. This is one like it that I ready to go on.

20240625_080341.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Funny thing that I can laugh about it now. Working for a company putting an MRI in a hospital. Fist day I walk into the job. Someone was doing a very good job of keeping it clean. I thought to myself. If somebody would fall they wouldn't get hurt from debris of concrete rebar and steel laying around. Someone was using a gas power cut off saw on the edge of the floor cutting 12" beams. I said to them. I have harness on let me touch it so the saw don't kick you off. I unhooked to go pull more hose. Came back lit the torch and and hook in the other hand to hook up. Just them the floor gave away. They said I went straight down torch in one hand and lanyard in the other inches away from the safety line. I landed on my feet with a little rubble under the that knock me of balance and landed on my ass. They came over and said lay down. I said No there is a beam hanging there. Went over and sat down and I need a minute. Boss said no you going to ER. 5 min if that went to stand up and I was stiff. ER was 150' up the street. I said help me walk. An ambulance took me 150' to ER. Bruised tail bone and dislocated thumb that I put back in before it swelled. Found out later someone took out a support wall.
So a week goes by and wanted to work. Had to be released by doctor for light duty. So the funny thing was we were on a different phase of the job. So pick up tools and started to work just any other day. So break came we meet up. Some of the guys ask where and what I was doing. Working and I figued out how the light duty thing works. They said how. Now I get to swing a sledge with one hand instead of two. They were all first befuddled and then they all lost it. I did get on something else. Sorry about the long story but maybe it's a break from brakes.
You just never know!

Last edited:
Back