• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Brake Light Wiring

73rallyed

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

New here and need some help, I just picked up a 73 Challenger Rallye last week that has sat for 20 years, had after-market work done in the early 2000's with a new engine. Power Brakes. All of the lights work with the exception of the brake lights. Reading your forums and looking at wiring diagrams I've found that the brake light switch is likely where my problem is.

From the wiring diagrams (for a 74, I have a 73 assuming there was no change, posted on this site, super helpful!) I've found that there should be a wiring coming from Fuse block 3# D3 18P (Purple/Pink Wire?) to the Stop Lamp Switch Pole 1#, On Pole 2# should have D4 18W (White Wire?) to the Hazard Flasher Switch.

What I have I've found is a single yellow wire heading up to the wheel column, presumably to the Hazard Flasher Switch assembly? (going to rip that apart next) From the pictures I'm attaching can anyone give me any advice on what they would recommend starting with troubleshooting here?

Thanks!

2024-08-05_17-02-48.jpg

2024-08-05_17-03-11.jpg

PXL_20240805_225645555.jpg

PXL_20240805_225709783.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
You definitely have no words going to your brake switch. I only have a photo of a 70 Challenger, but the wire color coding is likely the same. I have two pink wires going to the front on the switch and a tan wire coming out the back. See photo below. By the way, my brake lights work fine. Hopefully Challenger RTA will chime in as he is most knowledgeable with wiring.

IMG_20240805_161845160 (1).jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
By the way, if your new, you should post on the Welcome Wagon and add some pictures is your Challenger!

73rallyed

Reaction score
Will do! Thanks @Xcudame

Anyways I figured it out, I ripped the fuse box off and found a pink wire shoved into the firewall. The white wire plugged into the yellow wire on the second picture was the white I needed for the brake switch, was plugged into something for a radio.... So that's working now. I have a extra yellow coming from the steering column I need to find a home for...back to the drawings (btw just doing this you learn so much)

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
No just kidding. Did you check to see if you have power at the brake switch on both sides. If you do make sure the plug under the column is plugged all the way in. Check to see if you have power there on the white brake wire. The other place to check if you have power is the plug behind the drivers kick panel. Then of course check the sockets for ground.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You should have power to the brake switch all the time , if you press the pedal & close the switch the power will go up the column & pass through the 8 pin connector , if you still have power there the problem will be the turn signal switch

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
OK the black and white is a in-general diagram of how the most turn signal switches are configured. The earlier color diagram didn't exist until I made it from other diagram. Or at lest I never seen one. It is the pin out of the turn signal plug under the column.

Bottom diagram is the rear wiring harness.

The bottom line if you don't have power to the brake switch. It's more than likely the turn signal sw. Yes I know you don't want to hear it. The power for the brake sw is feed from the 4way flasher sw.
1722943125329.jpeg

1722942438927.jpeg

Last edited:
Back