• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dash pad questions

Tony C

Reaction score
I have 1970 challenger, single speaker non airconditioned car with a completely wrecked vinyl top and a very rusty steel sub frame, so either need to replace or refurbish.

1. Is a 70 Challenger dash pad a 1year only deal? (I note on various sites 71-74 are bundled together but 70s are always a different part number)
2. What, if any differences are there between the steel sub frames on a cuda and challenger, are they interchangeable? (I can get a 72 cuda steel frame needing recovering locally here in New Zealand)
3. What is ABS vs OEM? (assuming composite frame vs. steel)
4. Any experience as far as fit and quality of ABS? (ABS are allot cheaper)

Thanks in advance

heminut

Reaction score
There is a difference with the 70 pad but I'm not sure what it is. I'm sure one of the Challenger guys will be along shortly to explain it. The steel cores are the same for all the E bodies, Cuda or Challenger. I wouldn't recommend the dash pads made on an ABS frame, from what I've seen in the forums they are prone to warping. For what these things cost I wouldn't want to take that chance.

Katfish

Reaction score
1) 70 has a cursive Challenger/Cuda nameplate. 71-74 has a square plate with decal for the name tag
2) Frame is the same for all years, we put a Challenger dash in a Cuda, way back
3) Correct, ABS is a plastic frame
4) Do NOT use ABS, flimsy and warps in the heat

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
Correct. Frames are interchangable.
As noted above 1970 dashpad as well as many other components on E-bodies are 1 year only.
An example is the ribbed gauge cluster housing on the Challenger.
Always stay with oem steel frames otherwise you wil have fitment problems.

Tony C

Reaction score
1) 70 has a cursive Challenger/Cuda nameplate. 71-74 has a square plate with decal for the name tag
2) Frame is the same for all years, we put a Challenger dash in a Cuda, way back
Thanks for that! Just to confirm...... the replacement OEM crash pads you can buy (e.g. Classic # ME5518100 @ $686US) is formed on a separate steel frame and I'd still need to repair or replace my rusted subframe as shown in photo..... OR does the replacement crash pad come formed on this frame so if I got one of those, I wouldn't have to fix mine and could simply throw it away?

Challenger - Top dash frame.jpg

Katfish

Reaction score
What is that from, pretty sure it's not for an E-Body
*** Edit: Thought that was the frame that the dash attaches to, after a 2nd look, you've stripped all the padding off the dash core.
Yes, a new dash would come with the metal core. I didn't look up the PN.

Last edited:

Tony C

Reaction score
What is that from, pretty sure it's not for an E-Body
Pulled it out of my 70 Challenger, virtually no vinyl left on it so sandblasted and 2 packed it only. I'm just not sure if I brought a replacement dash pad if it comes molded on this frame, or if I have to repair this as well (will be a pain as it's tricky shapes & can't find any patch panels)

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
One other '70 Challenger dash difference. The plastic under dash pieces have different shaped edges where they meet the dash. The '70 dash will follow this edge pattern. '71 - '74 have a different pattern.

Katfish

Reaction score
To be clear, those pads through Classic for $700 will NOT have a metal core.
That metal piece shown in your pic will be plastic (ABS) with foam and vinyl molded over it. I wouldn't do that unless you don't plan on having the car out in the sun or heat.
I worked in the electronics industry for many years, the Japanese suppliers had a saying.
"Cheap no good, good no cheap". It's the truth in this case.

Tony C

Reaction score
To be clear, those pads through Classic for $700 will NOT have a metal core.
That metal piece shown in your pic will be plastic (ABS) with foam and vinyl molded over it. I wouldn't do that unless you don't plan on having the car out in the sun or heat.
I worked in the electronics industry for many years, the Japanese suppliers had a saying.
"Cheap no good, good no cheap". It's the truth in this case.
Thanks for the clarification, I just figured that out by looking at "year one" and saw they have steel frame rebuild options for $1200US using your good core.

Unfortunately, the problem being for me is I'm on the other side of the world with a bad exchange rate so I'd have to either find a good core in the US and have it shipped to them to start with, or fully restore mine (which as you can see in the photo is not very nice), then ship it to US, pay for the restore, and ship back which would be cost prohibitive.

At least with your assistance I now know what I'm dealing with!

Even though I really like to restore these muscle cars, I'm an old hot rodder so may end up doing something custom as I don't have a back seat, some internal trims, complete console, carpet or a hood lining either :)

brotow

Reaction score
Thanks for that! Just to confirm...... the replacement OEM crash pads you can buy (e.g. Classic # ME5518100 @ $686US) is formed on a separate steel frame and I'd still need to repair or replace my rusted subframe as shown in photo..... OR does the replacement crash pad come formed on this frame so if I got one of those, I wouldn't have to fix mine and could simply throw it away?

View attachment 128305
I have a nice 1974 Challenger dash frame available if needed.

20240730_134551.jpg

20240517_153503.jpg

20240517_153514.jpg

20240517_153523.jpg

Coupe

Reaction score
I have an ABS dash cover. It looks OK, but you do have to worry about summer sun making it swell and distort. It did seem to return to a decent fit though.
At car shows I have to use a windshield cover.
I would never have bought it myself. It was a gift from my young children, I felt obligated.

fasjac

Reaction score
I put a 70 dash pad in my 73 because I like the cursive “barracuda”
Went from 3 speakers to 1 and a/c to non a/c. Fit the frame perfectly.

Back