• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello to all !!!

Rex

Reaction score
Hello All. I am new today to the site. I am in north jersey I have a 73 Cuda 440 engine, single plane intake, holley 750 carb, Full tube headers, MSD ignition. 4 speed. Electric fan radiator cooling system. I have an issue I hope someone can help me with. Engine runs smooth doesn't over heat. Doesn't miss a beat. But the back 2 header tubes on each bank glow red when engine is up to temp. It doesn't seam to be timing or a vacuum leak. I changed carbs twice. I cant figure it out. Any way nice to meet everyone in the forum. Glad to have found it. Let me know how to go about questions and answers with etiquette. Thank you !!!!

cuud.JPG

cuuddaa.JPG

20230918_173152.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome to the site , check plug color I suspect the rear is running lean , do you have 4 corner idle ?

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Ditto on Chryco’s comment.
Nice looking Cuda

Xcudame

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO from the desert! Very nice looking Cuda. Which single plain intake is that? I tried zooming in but couldn't tell for sure. Sometimes you need to glue dams into some of the runners to prevent lean/rich conditions depending on the intake.

Rex

Reaction score
More info needed. Is this a new engine ? Recently bought the car ?
II restored the car 10 years ago. it was a 340. I built the 440 4 years ago. And just installed it and fired it up last summer. Thats when i found the header over heating issue. wierd thing is it runs great. I am 50 and have built many motors. This is a crazy thing. I have no experience with glowing red hot header issue. Im sure with all you guys helping me now Its gonna be something minor. (I hope). Thanks for your time.

Rex

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO from the desert! Very nice looking Cuda. Which single plain intake is that? I tried zooming in but couldn't tell for sure. Sometimes you need to glue dams into some of the runners to prevent lean/rich conditions depending on the intake.
Its edlebrock torker 2. Great throttle response. Just a crazy thing. I have done alot of engine work and never had thiis issue. Gonna be a great thing to figure out for my knowledge book. We all have them dont we?

moparlee

Reaction score
Rex, welcome to the site from Michigan!
Hope you get that exhaust heat issue figured out along with the help from here.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Its edlebrock torker 2. Great throttle response. Just a crazy thing. I have done alot of engine work and never had thiis issue. Gonna be a great thing to figure out for my knowledge book. We all have them dont we?
It could be something as simple as fine tuning your combination (timing and air/fuel). Start a new post in the Engine Issues section and give more details on your build (which Holley 750, current timing setting, idle speed, vacuum reading from the carb/intake, camshaft, compression ratio, etc.) and how many miles you've driven (if any) on the new engine. Keep in mind it's common for headers to glow on initial fire up and camshaft break in. That's why header companies don't recommend using their coated headers on initial break in.

i_taz

Reaction score
Orange ROCK'S....!!! FYI, I noticed with the factory intake the rear cylinders run lean.

Back