• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How many of you are doing your own restoration versus having someone else do the work ?

How many are doing the work your selves?

• Total voters

tazzymoto

Reaction score
Just curious how many of you are doing most all of your restoration on your own?

Last edited:

Tig

Reaction score
I am way too slow doing body work and know guys who can knock up a replacement panel way way better than I can, so body work and paint usually goes to them. I can paint door shuts, trunks, engine bays and smaller items but I leave the outside and the main visible stuff to professionals. Engine work I do a lot of my own, measuring checking assembling but any machine work, head / manifold porting work stuff again goes to professionals, they have the tools flow benches etc. Wiring and fitting I can do, I've even built a few gearbox's. I'd say I do probably 90% of my own work. Not restored more restified / race and it's always ongoing. We have a SB '68 Barracuda that needs some work to do next, I'm thinking of painting this one myself.

habitsept23.jpg

pschlosser

Reaction score
Paying another to restore a vehicle can put you in a place where you spend more on the whole project than you can get when selling the vehicle, later.

The ONLY way some of us can restore a vehicle, and come out ahead, financially, is to do some or the majority of the work, ourselves.

That said, I pay another to do body work and paint, because I don't want to take the time to learn the skill, outfit the gear and provide space to paint.

I may have parts of a project restored by another, but for the most part, I'm doing the majority of restoration because I enjoy the work a great deal.

To be honest, I may find more joy driving vehicles as they're BEING restored, than after. Because once everything is near perfect, you don't want to drive it to keep it that way. But during restoration, I feel as if I can do what I want and if I break something, I can make repairs before the project is complete.

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
So far, have done pretty much everything myself, which is why my car is still qualifies as ratty after owning it for 36 years.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I'm in the same category as many here. I've done most of the work myself. I could not afford to pay someone for the time I've spent on it. And I enjoy it.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I used to build cars for people , I did everything mechanical but farmed out the paint & body work to better people .
I am well aware of my strength & weaknesses

Deezel

Reaction score
As much as I'd love to, I just don't have the skills required to put into the body and paint to do a good job so my car has been sent to a shop.

Pretty much everything else, I have the confidence for. I'll probably have an upholsterer put the new skins on my seats though.

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
I do it all myself.
I hate to sand, but it's part of the job. I've learned how to minimize that step.
I love to paint. It's the glamour part of the job.

One of few

Reaction score
Rather than leave a garage project for a kid that’s no smarter than her cell phone, I finished the restoration at a reputable Mopar shop. I don’t have the space to do what a tooled up shop can do, and I’ll never live long enough to master paint leveling, and all the little tricks that make them smooth.

Builderguy

Reaction score
I do all my own body work, prep and paint. I kinda like it as it is relaxing and I like the smell! The wife hates it! To me paint smells like progress. Panel fit and finish is a reward all by its self.
Stripping old parts and making them like new is satisfying. I have done my own upholstery if the timeframe allows, otherwise I send it out to a friend who does it for a living. The mechanical is all mine unless it requires machine work. I have a ton of tools but not those. Another good friend works at a local machine shop and usually can hook me up in a timely manner. I used to send out the alignment jobs, but NO more. Can't find a shop that actually knows what they are doing with 68-74 cars. The job is not hard, and requires only a few tools (less than $150) but you do have go back and forth a bit. Time is money, but in this case, I know it is done right. As for a 727, I could follow the manual and probably pull it off, but for what they charge me (when I drop the trans off) it is just not worth my time. Plus they have a few modifications that they learned over the years. Glass install is another job farmed out to a friend who owns a glass shop. He makes it look easy and since I built his house years ago, it is usually pretty cheap. Dang, it is good to have friends!!!!

Xcudame

Reaction score
Block and head machining is farmed out. Everything else done by me. My labor is cheap! This is a hobby and something to be enjoyed! Nothing better than burning rubber in a car that you built the engine and transmission! 😀

340challconvert

Reaction score
A66 Challenger Vert
- Sent out the short block and trans for a rebuild; assembled top end & installed drivetrain solo
- Completed other mechanical tasks; installed cooling system/radiator, exhaust, driveshaft (new u joints), total front end & brake system rebuilds
- Upgraded torsion bars and seals
- New gas tank, straps, fuel line
- Completed welding body patch panels (back lower quarters, trunk floor and 1 extension, partial front left driver floor section)
- Stripped, cleaned and primed and repainted; wheel wells, engine compartment, firewall, frame rails, floors, radiator frame
- Fenders/ front end panels, tail lights, side lights etc. removed at start of process
- Repaired minor rust in front windshield channel, installed front windshield

It has taken me about 7 years to get to this point. after taking the A66 out of storage in 2017. I am not the best with any of these tasks but took my time, watched you tube videos, asked for help from others here on FEBO and learned some new skills as needed,

A lot of satisfaction and labor, but saved a ton of money.
Currently trying to fix bugs with getting the engine to run correctly. May tackle the body prep and painting myself if I get brave!
THANK YOU TO ALL HERE ON FEBO WHO OFFERED HELP, ADVICE, AND ENCOURAGEMENT OVER THE YEARS OF THIS PROJECT
Phil

Last edited:

heminut

Reaction score
I did everything but paint and body, I don't have the skillset or patience to deal with that. I did do all the sheetmetal repair and paint in the engine bay, trunk and doorjambs though.

torredcuda

Reaction score
I do 98% of the work myself, mostly self taught with help from friends and a stint as a bodyman/painter for 10 years starting out as a green apprentice and ending up doing major crash work. I don`t have the tools to set up rear end gears and don`t mess with transmissions, obviously engine machine work is done by a shop but otherwise all home built in my garage. The Barracuda was mostly done almost 30 years ago but I am currently working on my `70 road runner, I`ve had a few other cars and truck projects as well. I do it mainly for two reasons - first is I can`t afford to pay others to do all the work needed, I`m on a serious budget building cars, second is for the most part I enjoy working on them but mores so is the satisfaction and pride of doing it myself rather than just buying one already done.

cuda metal work.jpg

cuda AAR hood.jpg

cuda stripes.jpg

69 cuda trunk.jpg

69 cuda paint.jpg

74 road runner.jpg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
I do 98% of the work myself, mostly self taught with help from friends and a stint as a bodyman/painter for 10 years starting out as a green apprentice and ending up doing major crash work. I don`t have the tools to set up rear end gears and don`t mess with transmissions, obviously engine machine work is done by a shop but otherwise all home built in my garage. The Barracuda was mostly done almost 30 years ago but I am currently working on my `70 road runner, I`ve had a few other cars and truck projects as well.

View attachment 128247

View attachment 128259

View attachment 128260

View attachment 128261

View attachment 128262

View attachment 128263
👍 Nice

fasjac

Reaction score
Same as most above, like building motors, have played with trannies a bit but, paint and body is for my friends. The rest is not to bad. The worst is getting old without a lift. Oh, the clusters are typically sent out for restoration.

Last edited:
Back