• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Map light

Reaction score
73 challengee rallye
What lights are supposed to light with the map light switch?
Is the map light supposed to light when the doors open?

I have a light to the right of the cigarette lighter. But all wiring is missing

Thanks

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Map Light-2024-06-24_064026.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The diagram shows power is feed from the red connector to the pink wire. The switch completes the circuit to ground. So no. The map light is it's own circuit.

1719234652131.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you. It looked like there had been both a 12v supply and door circuit near the switch. So wasn't sure. I've also seen posts saying there was a relay on some models, not sure why.

But all's good, thanks for the wiring diagram.

Carl

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
You ask: What lights are supposed to light with the map light switch? Just the map light.
The door switches and map light are grounds that complete the circuit. In the diagram it shows what is a delay relay. That is a different circuit and it works different.
Here is another diagram that is eraser to understand. Two different circuits that control the map light. All grounds have to be good in order for it to work.
I took me some time to find it. This is the easier one to understand.

challenger time-delay-relay-jpg-1024614406.jpg

Last edited:

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
The red accessory feed in Challenger RTA's electrical diagram is the one circled in green below.
It is a molded female connector for three accessories. There is another accessory feed that is yellow (2nd green circle) but you need the red one. The single black female connector with the yellow wire is the map lamp ground ⏚ and is in the same green circle.

Should not be hard to find the red connector under the dash and directly above the radio area. An extract for the map light from an earlier 1970 electrical diagram for the A01 - Light Package is to the right.
1719245697683.png
Map Light Power from Red Accessory Feed - Ground from Map Light Switch.jpg

Dash Harness with Courtesy Lamp.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve340

Reaction score
The map light switch has two positions. In one position the map light illuminates when you open either of the doors - in the other it switches the map light on even of the doors are closed.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
The map light switch has two positions. In one position the map light illuminates when you open either of the doors - in the other it switches the map light on even of the doors are closed.
Now that makes sense as a feature but I do not see an alternate power feed from the time delay relay with a door-activation function.
Must be a different diagram than the one below.
Some wire numbers/colors differ slightly but the basic layout remains the same for the map light.

a01 light.jpg

Last edited:

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I had this diagram which shows the right door switch supplying an alternate ground if the door is open (switch closed). It appears to allow the door switch to control the map lamp's ground. Works when the normal M2A-18Y ground is taken away and the map light switch is in the ON position. Tricky to figure out even with the diagram below.
A01_Light_Package.jpg

Reaction score
They used crazy wiring schemes back in the day. Not as bad as the British cars. But why they didn't just add a diode I have no clue.
I have it all back working again.
Thanks everyone for the help and wiring diagrams.

Back