• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

new member 73 Challenger

MY73mop

Reaction score
Hey there. I am a new member to this site. I have a 1973 340 Challenger I bought in 1985. Luckily I never got rid of it because i LOVE this car!!. I restored it back then and won a few trophies. Getting married and having kids put it on the back burner and it sat for years. I had lost the mojo at that time. I got it running last year, gave it a bath, put it back on the road, and now just going drive it. It still looks good from far but needs work.
I will be asking questions for help. The engine pings upon acceleration which i have to work on and i have to get the gauges working which makes me scratch my head.

Anyway I look forward to chatting and thanks!!

73 Dodge.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Welcome To FEBO. I had mine so long she need not be judged. Been there through the, Good times, bad times, you know I've had my share. Always there in the back round of life as yours too.
1718057551185.jpeg

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan!
Glad you hung on to your Challenger. Sometimes life events get in the way for awhile.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome to the site !
You need better fuel or a modified timing curve for the pinging .
The gauges have a voltage regulator to limit to 5V if the Reg fails the gauges will not owrk , the reg is inserted in the rear of the gauges .

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I agree with Chryco Psycho about the limiter. Just recently had dash light issues and removed the cluster. Found the connections had rust and also all the gauge studs. Cleaned them up and put dielectric grease on all connections. solved a the problems. Take a look. Dash lights a Brighter possibility
This is a cluster that has been in clean and dry storage and it still rust.
1718596075989.jpeg

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
For pinging, it's usually a timing issue and you need more advance. The 5 volt regulator fails in the open position so the poor Gauges get 12 volts and they're toast. Maybe you'll get lucky and the gauges are OK and the regulator needs replacing!

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
Welcome!!!
The Challenger looks great and it's awesome that you've held on to it since 1985!!
I know how it goes, I have a couple that seem to go in waves, play with them for a while, put them away for a while (many years sometimes), then out they come again. I have been lucky, my wife supports my hobbies, so they are at least kept inside.
I think you'll find most everyone here on the forum is helpful, we all want to see these machine preserved and on the street if possible, so keep up the good work!

WhiteGP

Reaction score
Very Nice Car !, I had a 72 around 1978-79, I am a Cuda guy and I have a new Cuda which had some pinging. It seems to have gone away after I ran some premium non ethanol and a can of VP racing booster. Its gonna be expensive to run :-(

Back