• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Member Posting 1970 Barracuda Convertible acquired.

Surfcuda

Reaction score
Hi E-Bodies, my name is Rob. I'm an Mopar guy who had a 1971 Barracuda in High School that I sadly sold prior to entering the Service. Since then life has got in the way, until last week when I was finally able to acquirer this 1970 Barracuda Convertible after three years of trying to buy this car. This little West Coast Gem is a numbers matching 318, A904 Auto, with electric windows. Its pretty much 99% unmolested (Electronic ignition was add, and top was died black from original White Top). I plan on replacing the top back to White with a new rag and Maybe a small fuel injected carb with Cruise Control. A Very low optioned car, but its all there to include the Fender Tag and no rust (Except for a small area of light surface rust on top of rear (drivers side) wheel well as shown in Photo). I'm pretty excited, however the engine is well worn (Rolled over to 27XXX miles) and pulling it and having it refreshed to include the trans. I could see doing a clone, but I like the idea of keeping her close to original. I'm still in the Vision stage figuring out which direction to take. Any suggestions and help along the way would be appreciated as I will have lots of questions. Regards Rob

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Howdy from Colorado.
Is that the original color and original paint?
Looks awesome either way.
The hood being a 'cuda' hood I think it's probably a repaint.
Did the sport hood get special ordered on this car?
Is it on the fender tag? J54 ?

Surfcuda

Reaction score
Howdy from Colorado.
Is that the original color and original paint?
Looks awesome either way.
The hood being a 'cuda' hood I think it's probably a repaint.
Did the sport hood get special ordered on this car?
Is it on the fender tag? J54 ?
Good eye! Original Color EB3 Ice Blue Metal. Yes it’s a repaint. The raisin brand hood and rear valance were put on by previous owner.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Wow! That is an awesome car!!
Sharp combo !
Ice Blue Metallic with a medium blue interior!
Top it off with a white top and V5W white side protectors.
Disk Brakes.
1B inspector stamp is cool too.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO from the desert! Nice Barracuda convertible. The little 318 can be made to run very well. And the 904 robs less horsepower than the 727.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Your convertible definitely has the Mike Brady vibe.
Very early car.
Light Package, Basic Group plus the Disc Brakes, mentioned earlier. The B3 with Blue Interior and White Top is a great combo.
A04 - Basic Group for BARRACUDA is Power Steering, Left Remote Control Mirror Outside Chrome, 3 Speed Variable Wipers w/ Electric Washer, Solid State AM Radio.

Surfcuda

Reaction score
Wow! That is an awesome car!!
Sharp combo !
Ice Blue Metallic with a medium blue interior!
Top it off with a white top and V5W white side protectors.
Disk Brakes.
1B inspector stamp is cool too.
Thanks Cuda Hunter, unfortunately the previous care taker changed the interior to black. It’s going to be a long project to get her up to par. 🏝

Surfcuda

Reaction score
Your convertible definitely has the Mike Brady vibe.
Very early car.
Light Package, Basic Group plus the Disc Brakes, mentioned earlier. The B3 with Blue Interior and White Top is a great combo.
A04 - Basic Group for BARRACUDA is Power Steering, Left Remote Control Mirror Outside Chrome, 3 Speed Variable Wipers w/ Electric Washer, Solid State AM Radio.
Yes, I remember that episode. Greg got to drive it, and I was like Wow what a Cool Vert.

elnielsen

Reaction score
Hello Rob,

Wow, that's a sweet ride! so clean! I got mine in 2016, and I've been having the same vision issue.. what to do.. period blower out the hood? stock? sleeper conversion? So I have kept it inexpensive and original..

Right off the bat, my brother and I refreshed the 318 with new bearings. And I rebuilt the carb with a kit, and later took it to a fuel shop, they said good job, you only had one linkage backwards.. I also replaced the front of the engine, but that's it.. This thing isn't dying, it stays running.. My daily driver recently died, the engine is in the shop awaiting parts.. So, I have been driving my barracuda everywhere, super fun. My project car has become my temporary primary.

I did end up doing a full front end suspension rebuild. I kinda wish I hadn't gone stock but went with a performance upgrade for ride quality.. However, I did replace the torsion bars, and I would recommend that hands down. I think I went with Swayaway, and it's kindsa cool seeing these big ass red powdercoated bars down there. It's not that difficult once you get down to brass tacks. A little background reading into it and ALL of them had weak springs originally. I would suggest going stiffer than you plan. I drive a twisty mountain pass and didn't want myself skidding over bumps, but it ended up still not stiff enough.

I use gas additive for nonhardened seats, and I'm just driving it happily till she blows. where I should get started on a replacement engine regardless. If I can ever figure out which engine to build for it while I set the original aside...

Advice, since you got a drop top, drop that top and drive it around, a lot!

Thanks, Erik.

Back