• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Newbie Needing Some E Body Education

kna4977

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a nice 70-71 Challenger. Preferably a T/A or RT/SE. I have a basic knowledge of what's important when looking at these cars and would like to find as much specific information as possible so I buy the right car for me.

Where is the best place to find out what I need to know?

I know about the fender tags, but is there a way to tell if one is fake?

Is there a way to tell if a car is a true R/T or a T/A vs a clone?

Where else should I look for important numbers?

Where do these cars usually rust?

What would be some red flags that would be deal breakers?

What should I focus on in my search?

Any tips would be great. Thanks

ramenth

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a nice 70-71 Challenger. Preferably a T/A or RT/SE. I have a basic knowledge of what's important when looking at these cars and would like to find as much specific information as possible so I buy the right car for me.

Where is the best place to find out what I need to know?

I know about the fender tags, but is there a way to tell if one is fake?

Is there a way to tell if a car is a true R/T or a T/A vs a clone?

Where else should I look for important numbers?

Where do these cars usually rust?

What would be some red flags that would be deal breakers?

What should I focus on in my search?

Any tips would be great. Thanks

I'm only gonna chime in on a few of these and hope someone else chimes in to fill in the gaps. What you're looking for are pretty "exclusive" cars: i.e. low production numbers. When you say "nice" I'm guessing you mean little to no work.

Since you're familiar with the data plate under the hood I'm also going to assume you're familiar with the broadcast sheet that Chrysler put in the cars. As well as the corresponding VIN numbers on the data plate, broadsheet(s), and posted in the windshield. Then you have the VIN on the core support and under the trunk lip as well as the decal on the door. And on the block and transmission. These numbers should all be present and match to be considered "numbers matching." Any reputable seller shouldn't have an issue offering this information on a real car.
As far as being able to decode everything that's incorporated in the VIN/Data plate/broadcast sheet buy a decoder book and take it with you when you do your search. You can find these here: www.galengovier.com
Rust issues can vary from car to car, but like most of our Mopars the wheelhouses, trunk extenders, quarter lips were tender. Add into that rockers, cowls behind the fenders, the fenders, floor boards...take a look at the membership restoration threads and peruse to see what's had to be worked on. As well as check out the parts houses like Goodmark, AMD and you'll see all those parts are being repopped for a reason.
As far as what else you need to know, hang around and a T/A or R/T/SE owner will chime in and offer advice.

kna4977

Reaction score
Much appreciated. Besides the code books are there any other good references to have? Any additional information would be great if anyone else wants to chime in.

ramenth

Reaction score
Just did an Amazon search for Challenger T/A in the books search and pulled up a ton of books written on the E-bodies. Might want to peruse over there and see what's available. As always the more info you have, the better off you'll be.

193rdsow

Reaction score
T/a Challenger

What a great car! Talk about an attention getter at a car show and on the street....I just sold one about two years ago and have an AAR in it's place. What I have found over the years is that many of these cars have been messed with and also scavaged as they change hands. By that I mean, if an owner is selling a car and he can "steal" an original T/A part and replace it with a regular or repro 340 /Cuda part, he will be able to increase the profit on the sale. A build sheet and ownership history is important. Likewise, a parts book with parts numbers specific to the T/A AAR is helpful. There are a number of unique parts on the T/A and AAR...to include valve covers, distributor, intake manifold, heads, rocker setup, exhaust, carbs, carb base plate and lid, leaf springs, block, etc. get educated before you put hard earned money down on a 6-pack car! The devil (correct parts) is always in the details....

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
There is also another place to look to make sure the fender tag and vin numbers match the car. The package shelf on the challenger has the vin stamped into it.

I think there is also another one and will have to dig a book out to see for sure.

Good luck on getting what your looking for.

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
I just saw on another board a guy posting of a co-worker getting ready to sell his Mopars.

The one is a 70 Challenger R/T 440 six car. I think from looking at the pictures its a black car, black top and red buckets.

This is on the dodge coronet regiestry site.

moparal

Reaction score
There is also another place to look to make sure the fender tag and vin numbers match the car. The package shelf on the challenger has the vin stamped into it.

I think there is also another one and will have to dig a book out to see for sure.

Good luck on getting what your looking for.

I have never seen a vin on a package shelf on a challenger before. I have seen vins on the inside trunk up under the trunk rail on b bodies.

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
I have never seen a vin on a package shelf on a challenger before. I have seen vins on the inside trunk up under the trunk rail on b bodies.

Year One used to give out books I think when you went to Carlisle shows and one of them had the hidden vin numbers and where.

I will dig it out and Im sure its on the package shelf as I found it there on my Challenger R/T I had at the time.

This was another way for me to know the build sheet and fender tag belonged to my car.

The whole front end was missing along with the dash vin as the car was built into a drag car.

Also there is a nice looking Challenger here for sale-

http://www.dodgecoronet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12751

Go down the page a bit and it gives contact info. This is a silver with red buckets and a 440+6 car.

Also some other nice looking mopars.

Back