• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

No Tail lights

Tactical185

Reaction score
Taillight issues 71 Barracuda. I have no taillights when I turn on the lights. I have turn signals, brake lights, hazards, headlights and the taillights will come on when I turn on the parking/ running lights. I replaced the fuse 20 amp and lamps #1157, the cigarette lighter also works. Thank you in advance.

Tactical185

Reaction score
Brake light switch? Checked there yet?
no I haven't checked there yet. its very odd, I have brake lights, turn signals, flashers and the tail lights work when I have the parking lights on. when I turn on the head lights, the tail lights turn off?

mrmopar340

Reaction score
no I haven't checked there yet. its very odd, I have brake lights, turn signals, flashers and the tail lights work when I have the parking lights on. when I turn on the head lights, the tail lights turn off?
That's kind of odd. If it kills it when you turn the headlights on I wonder if it is something with the headlight wiring or something. I haven't had this happen to me as this is a guess in the dark. Maybe some of the others have had a similar problem and might be able to enlighten both of us.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Taillights don't go through the Turn signal switch just the turn / brake .
Chech that the housing is grounded & start tracing power , there is a plug behind the front kick panel so you should have power from the headlight switch to that plug , if not probably a problem in the headlight switch .

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
You can apply temporary power from the fuse box battery or acc terminal to the tail light power feed. L 7-18BK.
there is a plug behind the front kick panel so you should have power from the headlight switch to that plug , if not probably a problem in the headlight switch .

1725294645544.jpeg

Tactical185

Reaction score
Taillights don't go through the Turn signal switch just the turn / brake .
Chech that the housing is grounded & start tracing power , there is a plug behind the front kick panel so you should have power from the headlight switch to that plug , if not probably a problem in the headlight switch .
I will start at the kick panel and have a look at the switch. thank you

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Dimmer switch only alters the headlight feed & Has nothing to do with the taillights

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I will chk the headlight dimmer switch, thank you
Did you get to check the dimmer switch? It's just a matter of time it's used. It melts the connector and wires. Then it shorts to the switch or floor boards. There is not enough power to fully illuminate everything. It might be getting power but it can't be seen. It's only getting a reduced voltage. The bulkhead connector probably is the culprit too. I would guess you pick up on this is a fire hazard.

Last edited:
Back