• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Problems with a missing car key.

Cracocuda

Reaction score
I have a '70 Barracuda that I have been restoring for quite some time. I don't have the car with me, it is currently at my brother's house. I only had a single ignition key. This weekend I traveled to my brother's house and discovered that the key was missing. So I'm left without a car key. What would be the best alternative to have a car key again. Change the switch or find a locksmith who can make a key that can start the car? I need ideas like where to get a new switch to remove the old one. Or is it possible that a locksmith can make a key to work with the old switch? I need help. Thanks in advance.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Pay no attention to to tilt wheel of the lock cylinder fit. It's just a thing now. Garbage in garbage out.
This is what really gets me.
1728344146355.jpeg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
There is a code on the ign cyl , Being a locksmith virtually any locksmith can create a key or rekey it to a new key if you are worried about where the original is .
Ebody never used a tilt column but the tilt column uses a different lock cylinder FYI

Xcudame

Reaction score
A locksmith will be able to make a key easily. Also, it's easy to re-key an old Mopar cylinder lock to another Mopar key. My 70 Challenger and 71 Barracuda use the same ignition key as I never intend to part with either until I croak. Then it's my son's problem, but I won't care! 😀

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
I would lean towards having a key made, the same key should work the ignition and door locks so if you change just the ignition then you'll need one key to get in the car and another to start it.

Assuming all of the locks are original you should be able to just take out a door handle and have another key made off of that, should be easier than pullling the can off the column to get at the ignition lock.

Or you could buy a matching ignition and door lock set-

NEW Mopar 1970-71 Cuda Challenger Door & Ignition Lock Set | eBay

Also the 70 ignition lock had the satin finish to it and most replacements are chrome, not sure if that's important to you or not but just something to be aware of. Here's a correct 70 set, you can see it's also more expensive-

MOPAR 1970 lockset with used SATIN finish ignition lock & NOS door locks 2999444 | eBay

Katfish

Reaction score
As mentioned, if the door lock matches the ignition, take that to a locksmith.
Will be the cheapest, least painful route.
I gotta believe it would be several hundred to come to you.
Much cheaper if you bring it in.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Funny thing about locks. There only purpose is to keep honest people honest and slow down someone for about 10-20 seconds. When I was working pipe line and was working with the mechanic. I was changing an idler pulley on a newer Dodge RAM. Today's high 12° Just so you know. Before I got done The Boss ask are you done yet? He was razzing me. Right after that I hear SON OF A *****!. He locked his keys in the truck. The thing was it was electric locks but we got it.

At a previous safety meeting he was on the guys about locking the keys in the trucks. The problem the mechanic and I would have to go to the place where they were staying and unlock the trucks just so they could get to the site. We got pretty good at it. He would just sit in the truck and say you'll be back before I even get out go do it. He was about 6' 6" 300lb Just a big WV coal miner, great guy.

So you ask how big is he! Nobody was not going to tell him his miners hard hat not complainant for a construction job. Hard hats are only good for 5 years to be complainant
Not even the owner of the company..
1728415493148.jpeg

Last edited:

Cracocuda

Reaction score
I would lean towards having a key made, the same key should work the ignition and door locks so if you change just the ignition then you'll need one key to get in the car and another to start it.

Assuming all of the locks are original you should be able to just take out a door handle and have another key made off of that, should be easier than pullling the can off the column to get at the ignition lock.

Also the 70 ignition lock had the satin finish to it and most replacements are chrome, not sure if that's important to you or not but just something to be aware of. Here's a correct 70 set, you can see it's also more expensive-

MOPAR 1970 lockset with used SATIN finish ignition lock & NOS door locks 2999444 | eBay

Cracocuda

Reaction score

Very good recommendations. I think I'm going to go ahead and make a copy of the key for the existing ignition switch. Actually, the key that was lost could not open the door lock, since the doors belonged to another car used as a donor. In fact, I already have the door locks purchased on Ebay. Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to continue making a copy of the car's original switch even if it doesn't work for the doors. Thank you so much.

Cracocuda

Reaction score
As mentioned, if the door lock matches the ignition, take that to a locksmith.
Will be the cheapest, least painful route.
I gotta believe it would be several hundred to come to you.
Much cheaper if you bring it in.
That’s the way I will go. Thank you very much.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
Very good recommendations. I think I'm going to go ahead and make a copy of the key for the existing ignition switch. Actually, the key that was lost could not open the door lock, since the doors belonged to another car used as a donor. In fact, I already have the door locks purchased on Ebay. Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to continue making a copy of the car's original switch even if it doesn't work for the doors. Thank you so much.
I just thought of something. The locksmith should be able to easily change the tumblers in the door locks to match the ignition lock so that you will again only need one key to get in and start the car. It shouldn't be expensive either, these locks don't have much to them. I've had some done before although it was years ago. And while you're at it, if you have a glove box and center console lock they should work off of the round trunk key.

Last edited:
Back