• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Sublime Lime 70 Challenger R/T SE

marksmopars

Reaction score
I've been over every inch of the top radiator support, the only stamping is on the passenger side, what I assume to be the support stamp number - "OD 35 1".

All the spot welds appear to be original to my eye, so I'm still stumped as to the front partial VIN. Is it possible it was missed on the assembly line?

Pics of the bare metal radiator support if anyone can enlighten me. The underside of it has no markings on it what so ever.

View attachment 117152

View attachment 117153

View attachment 117154

View attachment 117155

View attachment 117156

View attachment 117157

View attachment 117158

View attachment 117159
Here is what mine looks like, it’s actually upside down.

7EF5DE3A-D725-4D55-B05B-F2BE69324BDE.jpeg

Dodgey

Reaction score
Started tackling the passenger side. I've cleaned it up and replaced the lower corner of the A-pillar/windscreen. Also cut out and replaced the last rusted part of the plenum chamber. My TIG skills are getting less embarrassing now at least. I've found that if I tack in place with the mig, then TIG between I end up with a half decent result. The MIG tacks let me tackle the TIG part with a little less stress. I've found that if I'm trying to use the TIG to tack as well, at this stage that's a bridge too far.
Next step is to clean everything up again, seal with etch and epoxy primer. Then weld on the outer A-pillar piece. Then onto the cowl ...

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

Dodgey

Reaction score
A little more progress. Got the passenger side A-pillar complete, installed replacement fresh air intake scoop. Still need to paint the welds now that I have cleaned them up ...

Started working on the top front windscreen brace. The leading edge above the windscreen was pretty rotten, so fabricated up a new piece and welded that on. I made the mistake of shaping it in two halves. Unfortunately it has a little kink in it if you look down the cross section of it. It shoudln't cause a problem with the roof skin, but I know it's there.

I'll paint this up with the passenger A-pillar and then weld it in place. Next piece is the cowl, then the front section is complete bar

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

Katfish

Reaction score
What base material are you using to create and form the patches?
Enjoy seeing the progress

Dodgey

Reaction score
What base material are you using to create and form the patches?
Enjoy seeing the progress
I’m using zincanneal steel sheet as close to the same gauge as the original metal. Then using a range of hand tools, breaks, English wheel, shrinker/stretcher to shape. Then either MiG or TiG to weld depending on where/what I’m welding.
Glad you’re enjoying the progress! I’m having fun working on it and sometimes wonder if others are as excited about my updates as I am 😁

Dodgey

Reaction score
Repaired front roof support welded in and primed. Still have the cowl to do, I wanted to get this in place first as it is well located by the spot weld holes. Hopefully this will give me the datum to get the bottom edge of the windscreen (sitting on the top of the cowl) located properly.

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
My TIG skills are getting less embarrassing now at least.
This is 1972. I started to lean to stick weld in the USN (Repair Division)as an EM (Electricians Mate). Being on a Destroyer had to cross trained for times in need. This is an HT (Hull Technician) showing me how to strike and arc and hold it. We road together a lot. His last name was Kowalski.Go figure. He had a 73 Charger SE.

I did a lot of bubble gum welds until I started to lean to weld. I can braze and still do.It is always a good quick fix for something not weldable. I can burn too. Cut a number of brides up.
At power plant and job sites. The things I learned from Iron workers,Boiler makers, pipe fitters. The list could go on ,was a big help. Such a clean, cross contamination,proper heat (Heat welding rods too), speed. To see is the big one to me. I ask an Iron worker " push or pull"? Do both as long as you can see.
Decades back I was under my truck welding my exhaust. Reaching for a rod 3-4 times got it! Started to weld and went on like a robot was welding it in a jig. I stared at it in astonishment. Got from underneath in bewilderment, Thinking what did I do, I need to keep doing that! I have had cheap buzz boxes and used others welders and never accomplished that. To find out I looked at the spud that was left and it was 309L stainless. That's what the difference was.

So the things that matter for a novice or me. Have a good welder,prep, correct filler. Condition always a variable.Shop or field.
So I went and bought Lincoln mig weld 175. A world of difference.
I have yet to try TIG. But it looks like the same skill set as brazing.Just different tools. The are some excellent welder on job sites. I always like watching them.

So bottom line is. I and other admire you work. Keep showing it. Practice makes perfect and perfect wins every time! I'm still practicing!
1726324439452.jpeg

Last edited:
Back