• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Are My Oil Pressure Readings Normal

Xcudame

Reaction score
Yes it will. Left it out on our Challenger street stock 360 and it had erratic oil pressure that was never high. Put the plug in, no more problem! Then kicked some Chevy Camaro butt!

Xcudame

Reaction score
Big block is in the front (not the rear).

20160126_204941.jpg

sdcbowler

Reaction score

sdcbowler

Reaction score
That plug would not cause low oil pressure.
That plug is there to send all the oil from the pump through the oil filter.

It could be another gallery plug, cam bearings or main/big end bearings.

Thanks, Steve

I may eventually have to remove the engine so I will be able to check for this as well. In my post from yesterday I did mention that the oil filter had very little oil in it when removed.

sdcbowler

Reaction score
Also, the sender may be out of spec. for your gauge. I recently did a magnum swap (rebuilt engine) in my old Ramcharger. I used the Magnum oil sender but my gauge barely registered. I put my old used sender back on and then my gauge could read it.

Same for the temp sender too. Btw, they look exactly the same. So…. try another sender if you have one.

Hey Adam,

I missed this one. When I purchased the new gauge, it came with the sender. Aslo, I connected a mechanical pressure tester and was getting the same bad results.

sdcbowler

Reaction score
Good Day,

I have an update to my low/no oil pressure problem. The engine is a 413 wedge. I was able to locate four oil galley plugs. Two in the outside-rear-top of the block on either side of the cam and two in the front....one leading to the oil galley on the passenger side of the engine (right-side), that screws in from the front, and one that screw in upwards between the #1 cam and main bearing. Someone had mentioned a hidden plug that is installed to send oil to the oil filter, but I could not locate that one, if in fact it exists on this engine.

According to information I received here, my main bearing clearances we ok. I checked all five locations with plastigauge. The condition of my cam and crank bearings, along with the cam, were indications that an adequate amount of oil was not getting to the top of the engine or the valve train. also, almost no oil was flowing through the oil filter.

- I ran a long brush and a beam of light through the lifter oil galleys and they were all clear.
- I ran a piece of hanger through head mounting surface and down to channel to the #4 cam bearing and the holes were aligned.
- With the engine upside down, I stuck a screw driver through the top hole of each main bearing and they all lined up correctly except for the number five cam bearing.
it appears the bearing had spun and at least half the hole was covered.

According to the FSM, the cam supplies oil to the valve train, so I am sure thats why there was not much oil up top. I am also assumming this is the reason for the low/no oil pressure. Given the rate of speed the cam is turning, with half the hole blocked, there is no way the correct amount of oil could pass through. However, I am still perplexed as to why almost no oil is passing through the oil filter. I have tried two different pumps....one high volume, and one standard....both were brand new.

Any information or feedback is greatly appreciated.

See pics below,

Front Galley plugs (Not including galley plug for fuel pump pushrod)
Front oil galley plugs.jpg

Rear Galley Plugs
Rear oil galley plugs.jpg

Cam Crank Bearings 1 thru 4 Cam Crank Bearing Number 5.....Mis-aligned
Cam and crank bearings 1 thru 4.jpgCam and crank bearing number 5.jpg

Number 5 Spun Cam Bearing
Number 5 spun cam bearing.jpg

No Oil Getting To Cam
Oil starved cam.jpg

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
I always thought cam bearing number 4 supplied the oil to the valve train. Regardless, cam bearing number 5 needs to be aligned properly. Also, there should be a plug in photo number 1 above below the "M" and a second plug in the "tube" pointed towards the ground in the same photo.

sdcbowler

Reaction score
Xcuda,

Yes, my mistake. Its the 4th bearing..........sometime I can't count :lol:. Also, I had removed the plugs in the front of the block. Thats is why you don't see it. This was when I inserted a long brush to ensure the galley was clear.

Back