• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How many of you are doing your own restoration versus having someone else do the work ?

How many are doing the work your selves?

• Total voters

Xcudame

Reaction score
I would certainly enjoy Rich Followell and Torredcuda as neighbors! That's taking a car down to "bare bones"! Luckily Heminut isn't too far away and I can pick his brains on things!

torredcuda

Reaction score
Current '70 road runner project

20221016_151809.jpg

20230303_102233.jpg

20230430_134817.jpg

20240114_144352.jpg

20240114_144332.jpg

20240504_150116.jpg

torredcuda

Reaction score
I would certainly enjoy Rich Followell and Torredcuda as neighbors! That's taking a car down to "bare bones"! Luckily Heminut isn't too far away and I can pick his brains on things!
The Barracuda had every outer body panel replaced including the roof after the sandblaster warped the crap out of it even though I told him not to do the roof! Also had the usual trunk floor and extensions, parts of the rear frame rails and plenty of small patches, and that was before most sheet metal was not reproduced.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Yes, I've warped a few panels with sand blasting so I bought one of those Eastwood sand / soda blasters years ago. For roofs and tops of hoods, soda is the way to go!

hdwrench

Reaction score
like the song say “ with a little help from my friends “! sometimes a lot of help . a good friend who is a mopar fan/ body guy is doing my metal and paint . i help when he needs me . i have no big body shop or body tools , he does . he is coming along nicely on the repair / restoration. a couple of other good friends no the driveline end and there also helping me along . wife even jumps in occasionally doin small paint n detailing on parts . hoped to hear the car run this year but it’s not looking good , but that’s ok we got a long winter ahead ….

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
Just curious how many of you are doing most all of your restoration on your own?
When I bought the car 42 years ago I had no money, so I did everything myself. It was my everyday driver. As I had more money, and wanted to restore and upgrade it, the decision became based upon who could do the better job. For body work, that decision was easy: a professional. I can do it, but there was no way I had the level of skill for what I wanted. I did most of the mechanical work myself, but not the machining work. I don’t have a machine shop.

For things that were out of the ordinary, like when I put three point seat belts and other things the car did not come with, no one would do it the way I wanted. I wanted to make sure it looked like it was done at the factory, so I had to do it myself. When I added upgrades, like the Rally Gauges, I was told it couldn’t be done, so I again had to do it myself.

By the way, my car was a Grand Coupe that I made into a ‘Cuda with parts from a 383 ‘Cuda that had been rolled: Rally Cluster, 8 3/4 rear, Rally Hood, air cleaner, etc. The 340 heads were from another ‘Cuda with a cracked block. Transmission was from a Dart. So in some ways, more work than a normal restoration.

IMG_8332.jpeg

IMG_8294.jpeg

IMG_1025.jpeg

IMG_6277.jpeg

IMG_7905.jpeg

IMG_7904.jpeg

IMG_5034.jpeg

340challconvert

Reaction score
When I bought the car 42 years ago I had no money, so I did everything myself. It was my everyday driver. As I had more money, and wanted to restore and upgrade it, the decision became based upon who could do the better job. For body work, that decision was easy: a professional. I can do it, but there was no way I had the level of skill for what I wanted. I did most of the mechanical work myself, but not the machining work. I don’t have a machine shop.

For things that were out of the ordinary, like when I put three point seat belts and other things the car did not come with, no one would do it the way I wanted. I wanted to make sure it looked like it was done at the factory, so I had to do it myself. When I added upgrades, like the Rally Gauges, I was told it couldn’t be done, so I again had to do it myself.

By the way, my car was a Grand Coupe that I made into a ‘Cuda with parts from a 383 ‘Cuda that had been rolled: Rally Cluster, 8 3/4 rear, Rally Hood, air cleaner, etc. The 340 heads were from another ‘Cuda with a cracked block. Transmission was from a Dart. So in some ways, more work than a normal restoration.

View attachment 128364

View attachment 128365

View attachment 128366

View attachment 128367

View attachment 128368

View attachment 128369

View attachment 128370
Nice Work!

Coupe

Reaction score
Everything myself except for upholstery and auto transmission. Even those I removed and took to the shop, then reinstalled myself.

IMG_20190703_165831829_HDR.jpg

Adam

Reaction score
I do pretty much everything except machining the engine, and the thing I hate the most…UPHOLSTERY. If I never do front buckets or a headliner again it’s ok by me.

GtxJon

Reaction score
Nice replies guys!
I worked in a top Mopar shop some twenty years ago.
Full restoration was $100,000 and upwards.
You can double that now so its got to be 'all your own work' if you want to stay married etc...

We are currently doing a 69 Charger 500.
All our own work but its gone off to the paintshop now!
Would have painted myself but its non vinyl so tricky to do...

Help.jpg

IMG_20240713_124338.jpg

My favourite picture of a 500.jpg

GtxJon

Reaction score
Saved my very rusty Canadian GTX from the crusher.
Its taken 25 years so far but the spirit is still strong!
Painted myself in a Chicken shed but its OK lol...
Engine, axle and trans all built by myself too.

GTX coming home (2).jpg

torredcuda

Reaction score
I painted mine is `95 in the barn board garage in this pic - gaps between the boards, open rafters etc. I used an old DeVilbiss JGA siphon feed gun, a Sears 5hp 30 gallon compressor that couldn`t keep up and a box house fan in the side door. Yes, there was a LOT of wet sanding and buffing to do to make it look decent!

cuda metal work.jpg

GtxJon

Reaction score
It always feels better when you do the work yourself!
Some don't come out so well and won't win any prizes,
But we saved them from the scrapyard to be turned into Honda lawn mowers...:mob:

This is me in Hotrod mag grinding on a Daytona a $125,000 resto some twenty years ago.

IMG_20240625_191755.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
It always feels better when you do the work yourself!
Some don't come out so well and won't win any prizes,
But we saved them from the scrapyard to be turned into Honda lawn mowers...:mob:

This is me in Hotrod mag grinding on a Daytona a $125,000 resto some twenty years ago.

View attachment 128428
Restorations by Julius. I have seen some of their (your) work. And it was very nice.

GtxJon

Reaction score
Thank you Moparlee, I was just a small cog in the wheels of restoration.
Did some metalwork along with another guy who likes to remain anonymous.
He used to paint the cars as well but got ''burn out'' its a tough life indeed.
I like the mechanical side as I'm a lifelong engineer.

I personally believe that Mopar was a leader in all things Engineering.
The Hemi being the epitome and the Wingcars as well, prove that.
What a time to be a Mopar fanatic in the late sixties early seventies as well. :thumbsup:

marksmopars

Reaction score
I do as much as possible and as I worked in a body shop as a 16 year old that is quite a bit. But this guy in town named Gene Pearson is in his 80’s and operates his little shop out back. He built Indy engines as a younger fellow and does engines for guys like me cuz it gets him off. The engine I took him last week is a number matched block to a AAR cuda, I picked up. I replacing all the sheet metal, etc, but my engine will be picked up ready to install. Also, I have another bud does trannies so I’m taking the paired 727 to him for refurb.

I think we all here do what we can and I know I surely enjoy reading about the adventures here. 😊

tazzymoto

Reaction score
I hear that! that's why I put in a lift before I started the restoration , It's made things so much easier especially when working by myself.
IMG_20240921_133344898.jpg
IMG_20240908_092013277.jpg
IMG_20240918_070116974.jpg
IMG_20240923_131402274.jpg
IMG_20240908_103322984.jpg

Last edited:

asskicked

Reaction score
I realized many years ago that learning body and paint, by far the most difficult part of any old car restoration, was not an option if I wanted to remain in the old car hobby, it's an imperative. Ripped off too many times. It's understandable why it's so difficult to get quality work done by shops, it's extremely hard tedious work especially without the motivation that it's your car. I figure the average body and paint guy, even good ones, are burnt out in five years. If you have dreams of a collection of quality cars like me and are not a millionaire, it's a no brainer.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I do my own work. With the help of buddies and family members. Swapping out labor, equipment tools and just moral support goes along way to keep pushing each of us along.

Back