• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Inline fuse continues to blow fuses

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Did you pull all the fuses in the fuse box and check? If not do it. I would have got back to you sooner. Talking to my brother about hunting. Kills 15-16 deer a year 21 is is best. Helps to keep or highways clear of them.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
This is what you more than likely have to do,Aside from buying a new harness. Replace the wires from the connector to the fuse box and or splice 1. If you look at the brown ing start wire on the connector it is melted. it was shorted out to the black acc and red battery wire.

72RoadRunnerGTX

Burned/failed column mounted ignition switch Molex connectors explained.
1727718346967.jpeg

1727718264702.jpeg

Last edited:

magg383

Reaction score
Did you pull all the fuses in the fuse box and check? If not do it. I would have got back to you sooner. Talking to my brother about hunting. Kills 15-16 deer a year 21 is is best. Helps to keep or highways clear of them.
Last time I looked, both sides of the molex looked healthy along w/ the back sides of the fuse box and bulkhead. I will look at them again.

Can you explain what you want me to check for if I pull all the fuses out of the fuse block??

Taking the Road King out for a cruise, be back in a few hrs. :)

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The fuses being in will complete a non accessory circuit. Such as 4 ways,door sw, brake sw, glove box light. key in buzzer,,trunk light, or other. and look like a short. It is hard to say if all the wiring was every altered.

Last edited:

magg383

Reaction score
The fuses being in will complete a non accessory circuit. Such as 4 ways or other. and look like a short. It is hard to say if all the wiring was every altered.
So, should I pull them all out and then recheck all the continuity connections at the molex again?

magg383

Reaction score
OK, after pulling all the fuses out, there is now NO continuity between the red wire pin and ALL the other pins.
(I also jiggled the harness around multiple times w/ same results)

When the fuses were in, there was usually continuity between the red pin and Q2-12BL & J2A-12DBL*
and always w/ the smaller pin wires of M16-20BK & E2A-18 0/ E2-18 0

I'm guessing that this now indicates that the dash wiring harness is good?

Last edited:

magg383

Reaction score
OK, after pulling all the fuses out, there is now NO continuity between the red wire pin and ALL the other pins.
(I also jiggled the harness around multiple times w/ same results)

When the fuses were in, there was usually continuity between the red pin and Q2-12BL & J2A-12DBL*
and always w/ the smaller pin wires of M16-20BK & E2A-18 0/ E2-18 0

I'm guessing that this now indicates that the dash wiring harness is good?
Any suggestions what to seek out now?

I did purchase a new starter relay awhile back so I guess I can hook everything back up and put that in tomorrow and see if that does any good.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
As you described the problem is when it's starting. that could be the issue. The current for the stater comes directly from the battery. To the starer relay then to the starter. The power for the starter relay travelers through the fuse-able link to the ing sw then to the yellow wire to the relay.

Last edited:

magg383

Reaction score
As you described the problem is when it's starting. that could be the issue. The current for the stater comes directly from the battery. To the starer relay then to the starter. The power for the starter relay travelers through the fuse-able link to the ing sw then to the yellow wire to the relay.
Well, I have started it a few times in the last 2 days and so far, the fuse has not popped. :)

But after reinstalling both instrument panels, I wanted to make sure all 4 switches were working before reinstalling all the screws.
They all work with the exception that my wiper blades are not returning down to the rest position after turning the switch to the off position.
When I do turn the switch to the off position while wipers are moving, the wipers stop right there, and I notice that the ALT gauge tanks right after I move the switch back to off.
It was not doing this before.
I cleaned the 4 spades at that bulkhead connection and the connection behind the switch itself is fully plugged in.

What would be causing this??

Back