• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Inline fuse continues to blow fuses

magg383

Reaction score
This might help, used for my Gen3 swap, but shows voltages for ignition switch.
Ignore text at bottom, that's for Gen3 wiring.

https://postimages.org/][/url]
Thats a nice easy to read chart! That should be posted somewhere where everyone can see it.

My readings are all correct w/ the exception of ACC chart reading.

I have no continuity w/ any of the other colors.
Chart says there should be w/ ACC (BLK)

Any ideas on what this would suggest? Thanks!!

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
Are you sure you are in ACC position on the switch, it’s counter clock-wise from the lock position for ACC only. Should have continuity between the black and red wires. Agreed, that chart is wrong in regards to Ign 1 and Ign 2, Ign1 is dark blue, Ign 2 is brown technically.

magg383

Reaction score
Are you sure you are in ACC position on the switch, it’s counter clock-wise from the lock position for ACC only. Should have continuity between the black and red wires. Agreed, that chart is wrong in regards to Ign 1 and Ign 2, Ign1 is dark blue, Ign 2 is brown technically.
Thanks for the reminder! After rechecking in the ACC position in the counterclockwise position, I DO have continuity between BLK and RED wires.

I think this ign. switch test now eliminates a bad switch.
Looks like my next step is I'm going to have to start unwrapping some electrical tape like Challenger RTA mentioned unless anyone knows of any other electrical tests that I can perform. Thanks!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Unplug all bulkhead connectors and the under column plugs turn signal too. At the column check all the connections to the battery wire and the Acc wire. Let us know what you get. Most should read open. With the exception of thing like the turn signal and 4 way flasher and indicator bulbs. Check each one to ground also.

Last edited:

magg383

Reaction score
Unplug all bulkhead connectors and the under column plugs turn signal too. At the column check all the contentions to the battery wire and the Acc wire. Let us know what you get. Most should read open. With the exception of thing like the turn signal and 4 way flasher and indicator bulbs. Check each one to ground also.
I'll be out of town until Mon. When I get back:

Should I be checking all the pins on the other end of the ign. switch for continuity then?
If so, besides the switch pins, where should I connect the other meter probe to?
If so, with ign. on or off? (I presume off)

Same questions while testing the bulkhead spades?
What does the other probe touch to? (The other side of bulkhead, where it plugs into?)

Are there other plugs under column also?
If so, what are they?
Thanks!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Ok you don't understand somethings. That's fine. That's what were here for.
As in #44 I'll put it an other way
What you are going to do. is connect the 1 lead of the meter to the under column plugs red battery and leave it there. Touch every pin in the connector. Then do the same for the black Acc wire. They all should read OL open line or no change on you meter, depends on you meter. No continuity. If you do read something let us know what it is. It could be the short or it can be completing a circuit.

Back